What is the future looking like for PAs?

every physician i talk to states they have an uncertainty about the state of health care with the upcoming ACA. i think its causing a lot of people to hold back on hiring. I know my area is severely lacking in job opportunities

I would imagine this is location specific, not a widespread problem.

In my opinion .... Not good. Over 180 PA and DNP programs being created in next 5 years. This is FAST. Many of them in poor academic institutions without established medical or health sciences schools. PA programs that exist are expanding numbers and the quality of clinical training is declining (ask ANY clinical coordinator how hard it is becoming to find student locations). In 10 years the profession will enter into a period of decline .... salaries will not continue to advance and respect of the profession will decline. I guarantee it and will make a financial wager with ANYONE on this forum this will happen in all aspects of medicine .... except MD which has done well to control the numbers of providers.

I see the outlook as Good! Although, What I do think needs to happen is that more of us need to get involved with the direction of our profession. I feel that there are so many misconceptions as to who we are and what we can do still. I blame us for this as most of us have different roles in various specialties. I 've worked with some great mid-levels who perform tasks as a Physician and others who are very comfortable or afraid to function at a level higher than a scribe.

I see the outlook as Good! Although, What I do think needs to happen is that more of us need to get involved with the direction of our profession. I feel that there are so many misconceptions as to who we are and what we can do still. I blame us for this as most of us have different roles in various specialties. I 've worked with some great mid-levels who perform tasks as a Physician and others who are very comfortable or afraid to function at a level higher than a scribe.

have you joined PAs for tomorrow yet? we are working at steering the profession in the direction it needs to go:

www.pasfortomorrow.com

Archived