On the right track?

Hello all,

I have been lurking these boards for almost 2 years now, reading, watching and learning. A little over two years ago, I decided that it was time for a change in life. After 13 years full-time in EMS with 10 as a Paramedic, I made up my mind that I wanted to return to school and move on to new challenges.

As I teach as an American Heart and ICEP instructor through a local community college, I was presented with the somewhat unique opportunity to receive my education for free. Tuition to the school is waived as long as I continue to teach at least 16 contact hours per semester for as long as I decide to stay at the school. Unlimited credit hours, unlimited time. Since I teach CPR/ACLS/ITLS/PALS, getting those 16 hours is a cakewalk.

Beginning in Fall 2012 I signed up for classes and started knocking everything possible towards the pre-med track. So far I have completed Inorganic 1&2, Organic 1&2 (2 completes this semester), A&P1&2, Biology 1, Medical Terminology, and almost all the necessary generals for AS/AA degrees. I decided to stay next year and knock out college Physics 1&2 as well as Micro, Biology 2, and statistics if I can get them scheduled. Sometimes overlapping time slots is a major issue due to having to work.

When I finish it all up May 2015 I will need 42 credit hours to finish my Bachelor's in Biology or Physiology depending on which I choose. That is the exact amount I have to do on campus at the University I plan on transferring to.

With that being said, I do have the opportunity to take a lot of science classes to fill my schedule to full-time status. I still have a few classes like Physical Science, Principles of Earth Science, and Gen Chem 1&2 that I could take to rack up science hours. Right now my cumulative GPA and Science GPA are both sitting around 3.8. I took a bit of a hit with a B in Orgo 1 and will probably repeat that in Orgo 2. Is it worth loading up on some easy science classes to bolster my GPA? I have absolutely no doubt I can get A's in them.

The one thing that is lacking right now is shadowing. I plan on spending a summer doing a huge chunk of that probably next year.

Outside of shadowing or volunteering, any advice on things I should be working on to better my prospects down the road?

Thanks,

Mike

You're going to make a great candidate.

I'd definitely take the Gen Chem's, the upper level bios, medical science courses if you can. If you've maxed out the sciences and can take some free courses, then of course, indulge your curiosity. It will only make you that much more well rounded and interesting applicant.

You goal should be to make it abundantly clear to the AdComs that you can handle the crazy that is PA school and I think you are well on the way to doing that. 

If B's in Orgo are your biggest worry, you are a super star my friend!  3.8 GPA, 10 years a Paramedic...

Take Genetics, Cell bio, Microbio, and maybe Dev bio (super fun class if you love biology) at a pace acceptable to maintaining your grades and you will be a shoe-in at all PA programs!

/ In before EMED tells you to go to med school....(which considering that you took orgo & that you're taking physics anyway, don't rule it out if interested).

/ In before EMED tells you to go to med school....(which considering that you took orgo & that you're taking physics anyway, don't rule it out if interested).

actually this guy is a perfect fit for PA school....OLDER/EXPERIENCED, etc.

it's mostly the 22-30 yr olds I try to steer to med school....

actually this guy is a perfect fit for PA school....OLDER/EXPERIENCED, etc.

it's mostly the 22-30 yr olds I try to steer to med school....

I'll be 28 when I start, I'm calling that old enough......all my joints creak anyway. ; )

Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

I really appreciate the input from you all. Its reassuring to hear that my chances are really good.

I think I'm going to load up on as many science classes as I can squeeze in and stack my hours up in case I don't do well in a class or two down the road.

Might as well create as much as a safety net as possible...... I don't mind the work.

Mike

Good thread here. I'm turning 30 this year. I was an EMT and worked full time on an ambulance in 2004 before joining the Navy as a corpsman. Now I got my EMT Cert again and working. I'm basically just starting out in school. I have a few credits, but not science classes or anything. Am I too old or anything??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good thread here. I'm turning 30 this year. I was an EMT and worked full time on an ambulance in 2004 before joining the Navy as a corpsman. Now I got my EMT Cert again and working. I'm basically just starting out in school. I have a few credits, but not science classes or anything. Am I too old or anything??

Nope. Never. There was a retired U.S. Air Force gentleman at one of my interviews. I think he said he was 48. It will be a total second career for him.

I'll be 28 when I start, I'm calling that old enough......all my joints creak anyway. ; )

Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

I was 27 with 10 years as an er tech and paramedic. took emt senior yr in high school, er tech through college, medic school right after college.

I was 27 with 10 years as an er tech and paramedic. took emt senior yr in high school, er tech through college, medic school right after college.

I was a cancer patient for 10 years before college, so when I was able to go, I didn't even consider medicine (no more hospitals, lol).  So I studied Japanese and International Relations. I graduated, became a volunteer EMT, then went and did a health science post-bacc to supplement my BA, and worked as a PCT on an inpatient surgical care floor. Now I'm here, funny how life works.

I was a cancer patient for 10 years before college, so when I was able to go, I didn't even consider medicine (no more hospitals, lol).  So I studied Japanese and International Relations. I graduated, became a volunteer EMT, then went and did a health science post-bacc to supplement my BA, and worked as a PCT on an inpatient surgical care floor. Now I'm here, funny how life works.

... life has a funny, funny way of helpin' you out - Alanis Morissette - Ironic 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too Old? I WISH I was 29 again hehe! (37 this December)

Mike

As I mentioned above, shadowing is one area that I know I am lacking. With that in mind, I was teaching an ACLS recert class Monday to keep my tuition waiver and a well dressed woman approached me to ask a question regarding classtime counting towards CE for nursing and PA.

Turns out she is a PA for a coal mining company about an hour and a half south of where I live.

After introductions and conversation, she told me she loves having people job shadow and is more than happy to have me come watch and learn. Score!

As I mentioned above, shadowing is one area that I know I am lacking. With that in mind, I was teaching an ACLS recert class Monday to keep my tuition waiver and a well dressed woman approached me to ask a question regarding classtime counting towards CE for nursing and PA.

Turns out she is a PA for a coal mining company about an hour and a half south of where I live.

After introductions and conversation, she told me she loves having people job shadow and is more than happy to have me come watch and learn. Score!

Networking at its finest ... Do you know what this PA does exactly at the coal mining co? I realize PAs come from all industries, but that is NOT the first place I would look for a PA - at a coal mining company.  ^5

Archived