Low GPA Bachelors of a non-science major and getting into PA school

I'm looking for a little help on a plan of what to do. I have been reading the threads on this page and none of them quite fit my situation. I currently have a Bachelors in Marketing that I completed in Jan 2007 with a 2.28 total GPA. There were classes which I failed and took over again. I only took two science classes which I received C's in. They were Into to Physics and Intro to Earth Science.

I'll admit that I screwed up in the past, didn't attend every class, worked nearly full time on an ambulance with a full course load, and didn't take college too seriously. Since that time I have matured a lot and prioritized my life with a good job in Marketing for the last five years. My best friend is a MD and talking to him I am seriously considering PA school.

I could go back to the same school for another bachelors in Bio-molecular Studies or they offer a non-degree certificate at the graduate level in "pre-health studies" With CASPA and admissions programs. No matter what I would be going back to school for at least two years taking 6-12 credits per semester and 3 during the summer/winter to complete all the science classes.

What would be the best option for CASPA and school admissions of PA programs to get into one?

Thank you

Timon,

I read both of your posts and I'm trying to formulate my plan right now. Basically I'm trying to apply game theory to give me the best chance at "winning" which is going to PA school. Right now I can't do that because I don't know all of the rules to the game. I looked at how CASPA figures out GPA's, but I don't know how most schools look at the GPA's for their programs. Time is of the essence because I have about 30 days to apply to the school and be accepted before students start to choose classes for the spring semester. If i miss that, they will all be full and I will need to put off starting school again for 7 months.

Would it be best to go back in as an undergrad for a second degree or go in as a graduate student in the certificate program?

If you know which PA school you want to get in you can call them and see if they can give you some direction, some programs do and some don't. Most PA programs are asking for 3.0 GPA and that is Caspa calculated GPA, which means if you dropped a lot of classes or have W in any one of them your CASPA GPA will be lower than your school GPA. The lowest minimum GPA required that I saw when I was applying was 2.67. The two science classes that you took are not high enough for prerequisite, which means you need to take all the prerequisites (each program has their own prereq so research them before taking it). It takes about 2 years to 3 years to take all prereq which will give you a good chance to boost your GPA and show that you have changed.

It would be best to go back as an undergrad bc you need to improve your undergrad GPA. CASPA calculates undergrad and graduate separately therefore if you enter into a graduate certificate program your undergrad GPA will remain the same. If your goal is to improve your GPA, do post bac work. If your goal is to show PA programs you have matured and can handle the rigorous nature of PA school then do the certificate program. But honestly you can show them both sides and increase your undergrad GPA if you do the post bac work. I'm speaking from experience bc I entered a post bac program to increase my GPA. You also have to make sure you do extremely well, mostly A's bc that's the only way your going to increase your GPA in a significant way.

Good luck!!!

I too graduated in 07 with a 2.47gpa. Over the last 2 yrs and 50 credit hours I have raised it to right under 3.0(all A's). Unfortunately I have 0 direct patient care hours (volunteering and mission trips dont cut it to the ADCOMS) and the rejections have been pouring in. On the brighter side, my volunteering opened an opportunity for me to get a job as a tech working in a trauma center in the middle of chicago. I have my sights locked onto next app cycle. The point of this post is to encourage you to do the post-bacc thing and get your GPA up. Strap down and get all A's, take it seriously, and you will be an excellent candidate in a year or so. Your experience working an ambulance will cover a multitude of transgressions in most ADCOMS eyes, given that you smash through the prereqs and post bacc work. Good luck to you!

I recommend you take all your science prerequisites. And then I suggest you apply to a MHS or a MSMS program while working as an EMT or EKG tech or something that'll get you hands on experience.

Its a numbers game in the end.. You need units and quality points to increase your overall GPA. You can take a second bachelors or get an AA and if you did that I would suggest getting it in a field where you're increasing both GPA and are going to leave with a certification like RN or RT or Radiology Tech or anything really that'll yield really good hands on clinical experience.

The advantage of doing a MHS or MSMS program is that typically you're guaranteed an interview after completing that 1 year program. Plus once accepted you'll be at an advantage your first semester already have taken most of the basic science material from the same exact instructors.

Once you're at the interview all bets are off and it's about you as a person and not your stats.

If you choose an option where you grab a quick healthcare certificate from a 1 month accellerated class and are working towards another BS degree that isn't RN or RT or something like that, then I suggest physiology, biochem, nutrition, or anatomy as a major.

But at this point I recommend going for a any degree that will get you a job with good hands on clinical experience once completed, that'll allow for you to complete your basic science prerequisites in the process and then leave the MHS program as a backup plan if you don't get in.

Then I would look at programs that offer a BA or AA level PA program. I know Riverside Community College has a strong program that I believe is going away shortly due to the transition of increasing the level of the PA education degree level. They offer a bridge program for those who already have a bachelors degree to earn their MSPAS through the university of St Franscis. They primarily look at your A&P, Microbiology, and Physics as your GPA. They do prefer students within their geographic location but that shouldn't prevent you still from applying there. But with that being said it changes what I recommended a little.

I still recommend you take your prerequisites and apply to schools that you fit their entry requirements. Then as a backup apply to the MHS programs because you still need units and grade points. I wouldn't go back for a post Bach degree.

If you were dead set against the MHS then go for your Paramedic where you'll get a letter grade and a transcript from an regionally accredited program. If you got your paramedic then maybe challenge the nursing exam and then you'll have a plethora of options open up to you at that point.

• 3 weeks later...

I graduated with a 2.7 science GPA and a BoA in Psych.

Went back to school for 63 credit hours and held a 3.7, raised my GPA to a 3.02 or something. I took all sciences, so my Sci GPA was a 3.6. I worked at a hospital for 2 years, accumulated over 4,000 Payed HC Hours, Volunteered 200+ hours in Phys Therapy, Shadowed about 25 hours in the OR with a spinal surgeon and about 50 hours with a PA.

Still got rejected, reapplied. I was the first person interviewed and the first person accepted for this comming cycle.

@TrevInTampa813… wow!  that is a very admirable story!  I graduated in '00 with a GPA of 2.5 (originally started as a Bio major, but then failed quite a few of my science classes due to my father having two heart attacks and me having to work two jobs to pay the home mortgage and my tuition); joined the military as a 91W-M6 for 4 years; took a break from medicine… only to decide to come back to it this year!  Since leaving the army in '05, I have been able to complete two AS degrees with a 4.0 and a 3.8 GPA respectively, and now I am working on completing my 2nd bachelors degree in Psyc, as well as taking my science pre-req courses and prepping to take the EMT classes.  I AM worried about my science GPA, but I plan to talk about my HCE (over 15,000 hrs as an Emergency Room medic; volunteer; and over 2 years working as a medical assistant for an Alzheimer's facility)… but as you can see, I've been compensating for my low undergraduate GPA for a while now…!

Of all the posts I've read or followed at this forum, my favorites always are the stories of people going back to school and working their GPAs above 3.0 mostly because I'm also in that boat. I know when I started my path 3 years ago, I was skeptical I could do it with the calculators projecting I'd need at least 54 credits to get it a shade above 3.0, but here we are, and it wasn't as hard or intimidating as I thought it would be.

Of all the posts I've read or followed at this forum, my favorites always are the stories of people going back to school and working their GPAs above 3.0 mostly because I'm also in that boat. I know when I started my path 3 years ago, I was skeptical I could do it with the calculators projecting I'd need at least 54 credits to get it a shade above 3.0, but here we are, and it wasn't as hard or intimidating as I thought it would be.

Im te same way, congrats man. Great work, i know you're as excited as i am.

@TrevInTampa813… wow!  that is a very admirable story!  I graduated in '00 with a GPA of 2.5 (originally started as a Bio major, but then failed quite a few of my science classes due to my father having two heart attacks and me having to work two jobs to pay the home mortgage and my tuition); joined the military as a 91W-M6 for 4 years; took a break from medicine… only to decide to come back to it this year!  Since leaving the army in '05, I have been able to complete two AS degrees with a 4.0 and a 3.8 GPA respectively, and now I am working on completing my 2nd bachelors degree in Psyc, as well as taking my science pre-req courses and prepping to take the EMT classes.  I AM worried about my science GPA, but I plan to talk about my HCE (over 15,000 hrs as an Emergency Room medic; volunteer; and over 2 years working as a medical assistant for an Alzheimer's facility)… but as you can see, I've been compensating for my low undergraduate GPA for a while now…!

You sound like you have amassed a great amount of Healthcare experience. Thats very good, it's something schools look at (Some more than others).

With experience like that and a story behind why your GPA is low i feel confident that if you just hit the bare minimum on those requirements that you'll get accepted. Work hard my friend, i swear to you it pays off and it's that much sweeter when it happens.

I knew i was going to get in at the very beginning of my second intrerview. The interviewer asked me, "Hey, i think i remember you. Didnt you interview last year?"

Me: "Yes, i did."

Her: "And you're the first person here again this year? You must really want to attend school here..."

Me: "More than you could possibly know, and i'll be the first person here next year too if thats what it takes."

She smiles, i knew i was in.

You sound like you have amassed a great amount of Healthcare experience. Thats very good, it's something schools look at (Some more than others).

With experience like that and a story behind why your GPA is low i feel confident that if you just hit the bare minimum on those requirements that you'll get accepted. Work hard my friend, i swear to you it pays off and it's that much sweeter when it happens.

I knew i was going to get in at the very beginning of my second intrerview. The interviewer asked me, "Hey, i think i remember you. Didnt you interview last year?"

Her: "And you're the first person here again this year? You must really want to attend school here..."

Me: "More than you could possibly know, and i'll be the first person here next year too if thats what it takes."

Thank you @TrevinTampa813!  I appreciate your encouraging words.  Your story at the end made me a little emotional..!  *sniff* I love your 'tude :-)  It's been quite a road for me.  I do work full-time (although right now I'm on furlough!) and I have a husband in school himself (MBA), so I AM stressed about a multitude of things (work, time, money for pre-req classes, time, mortgage, time, second bachelor's completion, time, RECENT HCE experience, time… :-p)  I'm especially worried about doing GOOD on those science classes, I have a second chance and I don't want to blow it.  I tried to put myself on a time line on when I needed to finish these classes in order to apply for 2016 admissions... until I read quite a few inspirational posts by people like yourself who were in my boat… and I thought, "I CAN do it!  THEY did it!"

• 9 months later...

If you don't mind me asking what PA school was this? 

Archived