11 replies to this topic

#1 medicosmith

medicosmith

Registered

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:47 PM

I was curious if anyone has had any experience with some of the department of state positions.

http://careers.state...nnouncements/hp

I lived in South America for a while and met a medical provider (can't remember what profession he was) who took care of all the people at the U.S. embassy in that country. I've been interested in possibly doing the same thing at some point in the future. 

On the website, they don't list any specific positions or countries. Does anyone know if you can choose the country you're interested in, or are you placed in whatever country they decide to stick you in?

Just curious to hear any extra information any of you have.

#2 EMEDPA

EMEDPA

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,165 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:12 PM

do a search here at the forum. previously discussed many times

Moderator, Emergency Medicine Forum
Emergency Medicine PA, EMT-P
Doctor of Health Science & Global Health
30 years in Emergency Medicine

#3 jhonabra

jhonabra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:44 AM

Well this is really cool i would like to become a PA

#4 wildPAbrendan

wildPAbrendan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 02:05 PM

do a search here at the forum. previously discussed many times

Hey Emed, do you have any tips for searching department of state? I tried it a few different ways, and with quotations. The best I can get is "department"

#5 Int'l PA

Int'l PA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:52 PM

Google is your friend.

https://careers.stat...nnouncements/mp

#6 Int'l PA

Int'l PA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:01 PM

I resemble that position.  For your first 2 tours you are "directed" to the needs of the service, but get to put in your wish list for 6 posts.  They try to accommodate your request, but keep in mind you are 'world wide available' for a reason.  Read the application very carefully.   

#7 EMEDPA

EMEDPA

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,165 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:09 AM

I have several friends who have done/are doing this. generally first 2 yr tour is in Africa, 2nd in south America or eastern Europe. after that you have more options due to your seniority. pay/benefits/lifestyle is great. job itself is a bit boring. one of my friends sees 10 pts/month. he also has to do all the environmental health stuff at the embassy, water safety, kitchen inspections, etc.

try searching "foreign service medical officer" to find some of the old threads.

because it is a govt job they pay by years of experience and highest degree. one reason I went back for my doctorate. A doctorate pays 4 pay grades higher than a BS and 2 higher than an MS.

#8 Int'l PA

Int'l PA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 06:06 PM

I have several friends who have done/are doing this. generally first 2 yr tour is in Africa, 2nd in south America or eastern Europe. after that you have more options due to your seniority. pay/benefits/lifestyle is great. job itself is a bit boring. one of my friends sees 10 pts/month. he also has to do all the environmental health stuff at the embassy, water safety, kitchen inspections, etc.

try searching "foreign service medical officer" to find some of the old threads.

because it is a govt job they pay by years of experience and highest degree. one reason I went back for my doctorate. A doctorate pays 4 pay grades higher than a BS and 2 higher than an MS.

Glad to hear you are thinking about joining the club.  It's been anything but boring for me, but it's a great gig.

#9 CAdamsPAC

CAdamsPAC

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:52 AM

Read up on Emily Post, and get hired before age 60!

Disclaimer - All posts are for entertainment purposes only! I accept no responsibility if you take whatever I write to be serious and/or factual. Any resemblance to the truth is purely fictional and coincidental at best and are darn good ideas.

#10 Croooz

Croooz

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:51 PM

A doctorate pays 4 pay grades higher than a BS and 2 higher than an MS.

Confused by this.

I thought there were 9 classes with 14 steps each.  Medical Providers (MP) start at class 3, step 5 $76,612.  The way I read it the classes are the paygrades so the doctorate PA would start as a Class 1, Step 5 $116,684?  Is that how it works?

-Not a PA, but I've seen one on TV. :D
-It's easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission.

#11 EMEDPA

EMEDPA

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,165 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:23 PM

crooz. that sounds right. I looked into it a few years ago, there is a base rate for a bs, 2 steps higher for an ms, and 4 steps higher for a "health related doctorate".

#12 MattHopes

MattHopes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:11 AM

You can find more details on  search engine for your queries.Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic