Department of State Positions

I was curious if anyone has had any experience with some of the department of state positions.

http://careers.state.gov/work/opportunities/vacancy-announcements/hp

I lived in South America for a while and met a medical provider (can't remember what profession he was) who took care of all the people at the U.S. embassy in that country. I've been interested in possibly doing the same thing at some point in the future. 

On the website, they don't list any specific positions or countries. Does anyone know if you can choose the country you're interested in, or are you placed in whatever country they decide to stick you in?

Just curious to hear any extra information any of you have.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I resemble that position.  For your first 2 tours you are "directed" to the needs of the service, but get to put in your wish list for 6 posts.  They try to accommodate your request, but keep in mind you are 'world wide available' for a reason.  Read the application very carefully.   

I have several friends who have done/are doing this. generally first 2 yr tour is in Africa, 2nd in south America or eastern Europe. after that you have more options due to your seniority. pay/benefits/lifestyle is great. job itself is a bit boring. one of my friends sees 10 pts/month. he also has to do all the environmental health stuff at the embassy, water safety, kitchen inspections, etc.

try searching "foreign service medical officer" to find some of the old threads.

because it is a govt job they pay by years of experience and highest degree. one reason I went back for my doctorate. A doctorate pays 4 pay grades higher than a BS and 2 higher than an MS.

I have several friends who have done/are doing this. generally first 2 yr tour is in Africa, 2nd in south America or eastern Europe. after that you have more options due to your seniority. pay/benefits/lifestyle is great. job itself is a bit boring. one of my friends sees 10 pts/month. he also has to do all the environmental health stuff at the embassy, water safety, kitchen inspections, etc.

try searching "foreign service medical officer" to find some of the old threads.

because it is a govt job they pay by years of experience and highest degree. one reason I went back for my doctorate. A doctorate pays 4 pay grades higher than a BS and 2 higher than an MS.

Glad to hear you are thinking about joining the club.  It's been anything but boring for me, but it's a great gig.

• 3 months later...

Read up on Emily Post, and get hired before age 60!

A doctorate pays 4 pay grades higher than a BS and 2 higher than an MS.

Confused by this.

I thought there were 9 classes with 14 steps each.  Medical Providers (MP) start at class 3, step 5 $76,612.  The way I read it the classes are the paygrades so the doctorate PA would start as a Class 1, Step 5 $116,684?  Is that how it works?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Confused by this.

I thought there were 9 classes with 14 steps each.  Medical Providers (MP) start at class 3, step 5 $76,612.  The way I read it the classes are the paygrades so the doctorate PA would start as a Class 1, Step 5 $116,684?  Is that how it works?

The requirements for Medical Providers has changed over the years.  Now a master's degree is required, and they've dropped the step increase language for doctorates from the vacancy announcement.  After you get through the lengthy application process, and you receive an offer of employment, they will do a final grade and step analysis based on your education and experience, and you have the opportunity to appeal their determination.  Also, don't let the base salary pay fool you, there's also locality pay, COLA, hardship differentials, and danger pay which can add up to an additional 70% over base salary.  I don't know of anybody that came in at the minimum level of grade 3 step 5. 

Here's what the vacancy announcement says now.

MP are assigned at the FP-3 level (step 5). The specific step (or salary) within that level will be determined at the time a firm offer of employment is made depending on other qualifications (education and experience).

• 1 month later...

I apologize if this has been addressed before but does anyone have some clarification of the "primary care" requirement.  It seems to state that emergency is preferred but is this in addition to or considered a component of primary care?   There is a large part of me that feels I do manage chronic conditions with alarming frequency from the emergency department.  (Although I may not embrace it all that much).

Applicants must have a minimum of five years clinical experience post NP or PA family practice certification. 75% of the FNP or PA’s time must be involved in direct primary care for at least four out of the last five years.

The term “primary care” encompasses adult and pediatric diagnosis and treatment of acute illness and management of chronic diseases, routine gynecologic care, prenatal care, adult health maintenance and preventative health care, well child care and managing immunizations. It embraces the total family unit across the lifespan – including emotional and physical aspects that impact overall wellbeing. Emergency department and urgent care experience are preferred plus. The primary care provider utilizes and coordinates sub-specialty professional consultations when needed.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived