Thoughts??

Hi, just wondering what your thoughts would be on this scenario. Im about to be a new grad. I have 2 job offers rite now that I am considering. They are both at respected medical centers in a large city. I would say that as far benefits, shifts, and misc they are generally the same. One pays more than the other but you will understand why.

Job 1: Internal Medicine PA run service Nights doing admissions and "putting out the fires" Cross coverage/training in IM hospitalist service, IM private physician inpatients and telemetry unit with dedicated cardiologists on site 24/7.

Job 2: CCU that has residents/PAs "Transport PA" is the official title which entails traveling with patients to radiology,etc because the residents cannot go with them? Also cross training in care of CCU patients and a step down telemetry unit which is PA run.

Both have the availability of picking up shifts in any of the cross trained areas at a Per Diem rate.

I probably didnt do either job justice here with these descriptions. Just wondering what anybody's thoughts are.

if it was me I would go with job 1.

job 2 sounds too much like a (shudder) interfacility transport paramedic job that I did while in pa school....anything happens you are not actually their provider of record and the person who is will disagree with whatever you do...

#1 sounds a lot more appealing

#2 sounds like it might be a #$%^ show..... crumping patients off the unit is not a fun thing and might be more then a new grad would want to do - also likely periods of boredom....

#1 sounds like a great first job - doing and getting good at admissions teaches you a lot of skills!

I'd take the first in a heartbeat, but you also have to consider that working nights with little support available might not be the best place for a new grad either. My biggest concern when discussing those jobs would be the amount and quality of training received, and what kind of backup you'd have.

Sounds oddly similar to the positions for new grads in my big city well-respected hospital, ha... option 1 (my FT job) is a rough new grad position but you will learn Medicine! Backup from the Senior PAs is great, only reason a new grad could make it, on my service anyways. There's one nocturnist at night but he/she covers both services (PA and housestaff) so they're called only when stuff is really hitting the fan... option 2 (I pick up 2-3 shifts/month), I only do nights, very few transports, 1 transport at most so you'll be helping the CCU PA/3rd year with CCU coverage, in terms of the transporting aspect (which they're is a lot of during the day), its not a great aspect of the job especially for new grads, transporting can be from any of the units, you'll get a 30s signout on the Pt you don't know and as a new grad you're not ready to run a rapid or a code when the Pt tanks in the elevator.... all in all, option 1 better IMO, get your butt kicked for a few years and then specialize, but if you're truly set on Cards the CCU route isn't so bad, you'll be off transport and running things on the floor in a year or 2... Again, these are just my thoughts and all services are different (though there is a good chance we might be talking about the same hospital, lol)... Good luck!

Archived