For those who need editing help with personal statements.

Hey, all. I just wanted to let you all know of a resource I found very useful when I was working on my personal statement:

http://www.logoswritingandediting.com/

His contact information is on the site, and I just emailed my personal statement and supplemental application essays to him, and he charged me per essay at a very reasonable price. It's a great way to get professional writing and editing help, and can be done all online. I am a first year student at Duke, and also got accepted to a variety of other well respected programs, in part, I think, because of my great personal statement that I was able to craft with his help.

Just thought you all might be interested. Good luck in the application process! You all will be so glad when it is over with!

bobsquit3,

Thanks for the info. In my opinion, this is an area of the application that many pa student-hopefuls probably don't capitalize on. It's truly unique in that, as an applicant, you can express your quality apart from that of the endless statistics adcoms filter through. I think it would behoove many to utilize a service such as the one you have called attention to.

Congrats on getting into Duke and good luck with your journey!

I could see how people would want to use it to make sure there grammar is correct and their point is coming off clear. The service doesn't write the paper for you. It reviews what you've written, just as a friend or family member editing it, except it is someone who is professional. I am not going to use the service due to the negative feedback it is gaining, but when I did initially email the guy for prices he stated he only edits and that the statements should be personal and highlight my background and what I uniquely bring to the program...

I could see how people would want to use it to make sure there grammar is correct and their point is coming off clear. The service doesn't write the paper for you. It reviews what you've written, just as a friend or family member editing it, except it is someone who is professional. I am not going to use the service due to the negative feedback it is gaining, but when I did initially email the guy for prices he stated he only edits and that the statements should be personal and highlight my background and what I uniquely bring to the program...

Precisely right, hiiamalysha. The editing help I received spoke nothing to the content of my personal statement. To say that it would be a dealbreaker to find out an applicant took his personal statement seriously enough to receive professional editing help is a fairly outrageous claim. Perhaps that it some people's decision, but I specifically asked two faculty members on the admission board at Duke, and both thought it was a great, and mature, idea. Also, it should be noted that one need not explicitly state during the interview that they received editing help. That's not being deceptive, that's simply being wise and not creating an awkward moment.

Using a writing service for something like a resume is one thing but your personal statement is supposed to be just that. If you can't express why you should be accepted into a PA program then maybe it's not for you.

I agree that one should be able to state why they should be accepted into a PA program. There was no additional content feedback that I received. It is foolish, however, to say that one should be able to professionally articulate their reasons for why they should be accepted into a PA program, or else they shouldn't be accepted. Perhaps that logic would be best applied for an advanced english or philosophy degree!

Editing itself, as bobsquit3 has said, does not provide any content improvement. It does, however, iron out any grammatical faux pas or spelling error that could otherwise be overlooked. It essentially highlights the good writing already established by an applicant in their narrative.

To the people that jumped all over this: calm down and get a grip.

Archived