How important is shadowing experience?

I plan on applying in a few weeks but my concern is that I don't have any official shadowing experience. I've worked with many PA's in the ER at my job so I have a solid idea of what they do in emergency medicine - however, I'm starting to think I should shadow at least 1 or 2 PA's in other specialties (primary in particular) prior to applying. I plan on cold calling a few places in the next few weeks to make this happen but in the event that I don't get any bites should I delay my app until I can throw in some shadowing?

It would be better if you have some shadowing experience, but that being said, it is probably one of the least important parts of an application for someone who has worked with PAs extensively during their medical experience. If you can not find anywhere to shadow soon, I would just make sure you note in your job description or in other places (i.e. if it fits into your personal statement) that you have worked with PAs and have a full understanding of their role as a member of the healthcare team. Perhaps one of the PAs who you work with might let you formally shadow them.

Do you have a good amount HCE where you interacted with PAs?

If no...shadowing is important to demonstrate that you at least have some idea about how PAs function.

If yes...shadowing is pointless unless the school has actual shadowing hour requirements(some do, which is ridiculous)

Do you have a good amount HCE where you interacted with PAs?

I've been an ER tech for over a year so I've assisted them with multiple procedures and interact them every time I work. That being said, would it be wise to go ahead and ask one of these PAs if I could formally shadow them or should my work experience with them fulfill schools' requirements shadowing requirements?

Are you interested in any schools that have a shadowing requirement? If not, then I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless you just wanted to observe PAs in other settings. When I applied to schools, I did not document any formal shadowing hours on CASPA, but like you I worked with and interacted with PAs. I made sure to work this into my personal statement and asked one of the PAs to write me a letter of recommendation.

You don't need shadowing to get in. You have experience AND worked with PAs. That is plenty! I didn't have any shadowing experience and wasn't even asked about it on the interviews. It would be silly to go out of your way to shadow a PA with such great experience.

Archived