I'm looking into NHSC sites and when (other than the option of Or) you choose solely Physician Assistant, there are much fewer choices than if you solely choose Nurse Practitioner. Yet our salaries are the ones that rose in the last survey. Is it that Docs are aware of the difference and will pay more to keep their PAs or is it that the Docs still looking are aware of the difference and hold on to those values more than being free of more malpractice liability?

I'm looking into NHSC sites and when (other than the option of Or) you choose solely Physician Assistant, there are much fewer choices than if you solely choose Nurse Practitioner. Yet our salaries are the ones that rose in the last survey. Is it that Docs are aware of the difference and will pay more to keep their PAs or is it that the Docs still looking are aware of the difference and hold on to those values more than being free of more malpractice liability?

I can't speak to NHSC, but in some geographic regions they are VERY pro-PA. In North Carolina, you see jobs that are PA-only (usually surgical or inpatient) or jobs that say PA/NP but require 0-2 years of experience for the PA but 3+ years of experience for the NP. WakeMed Hospital in Raleigh, for example, hires almost exclusively PAs. It seems to be so region-specific it's hard to make generalizations. I used to live in NC but currently live in TN, and middle Tennessee is way more NP-friendly (I think perhaps due to Vanderbilt's NP program and the large number of graduates it produces). However, the exception to that is east/northeast TN, perhaps to the PA program in Knoxville.

NAP,

You are probably right. I live in the same city as Ohio State, which has a huge nursing program. By and large, the big advantage for PAs here is in surgery (though OSU hires some RN first assists).

As far the "Assistant" versus "Associate" angle, there may be something there, but I don't think that it is the primary factor. At least in our state, I think it is because NPs are governed by the nursing board and there, they are -- to coin a phrase -- the tip of the nursing spear. They have relationships with physicians, but not as restrictive as ours. We, on the other hand, are managed by the medical board (along with massage therapists in our state; go figure). I suspect keeping us on a short leash is important to the board. As time goes on, this can cause the NP and PA professions to diverge. As physicians become less independent themselves, they may want midlevels who have fewer regulatory baggage for them to deal with.

I'm sure you're right. I'm looking at a Surgical Residency instead anyhow. It's where I belong and that'll take care of the loans at the same time so it all works out. If not, NHSC is the way I'll slam. 258K and rising. I have an offer to work in Alaska at a certified site in the middle of nowhere so some decisions to be made and some work to be done. I would do fine in the ER someday, which the Alaska site would cover me for as for as prep (solo provider for large fishing communities with potential for acute trama). It'll all work out. I just like it when they're knocked out lol

Archived