Does a science degree look better than a psychology degree?

Hello All,

I have been researching this for quite some time now. I currently have an associates degree in Science from Burlington County College. My goal is to become a Physician Assistant. I have 2 options.

1) I can complete a bachelors degree online through Wilmington University in Psychology or

2) I can attend Philadelphia University and receive a bachelors in Health Science

The PA Program I am looking into is at Philadelphia University. Financially, getting an online degree would be better so I can afford to live, but my question is, would it be harder for me to get accepted into a PA Program with a Psychology degree? I know people have been accepted before with non-science degrees, but does it look just as good? Will I be questioned why I received a non-science degree? I need the best advice on what step to make!

-Thank you

Will you be questioned about receiving a non-science degree? Probably not. Many people are accepted with degrees outside of the sciences. Does it look just as good? This probably varies by the program. Your best bet is to contact Philadelphia University and tell them your situation and see what advice they have to give you. (I wouldn't tell them which schools you were thinking of going to for your degrees, but would just ask if they would prefer a degree in the health sciences over a degree in psychology)..

I would say it typically does not matter. In general, schools look to make sure you have done the pre reqs. Some schools have recommended courses as well, which you are more likely to take with a science degree (such as immunology, pathology, etc). Do you already know for sure that you will be able to take the required courses online through Wilmington university?

Attend a school and get a degree in whatever you want and something you'll enjoy. It's the prereqs and their grades that really count. I would caution against the online coursework because too much will close some doors especially if they are science classes.

I know Philadelphia U is where you want to go, but plans can and do change, and you might decide one of the other schools in Philly or in PA better meets your wants and needs. It's very disheartening to find out you can't even apply due to a decision you made many years prior. I'd advise to keep yourself nimble and position yourself so you can apply elsewhere if the need arises.

BTW, I have a BS in aviation and management and I got into my top choice. The HCE, prerreq and overall grades, and LOR's matter much more than what your undergrad major is. Good Luck!

In my experience (as a student applying and then assisting with interviews and selections), your undergrad degree doesn't matter. I was a psychology major. Turn it to your advantage. You will learn a lot of science by taking pre-reqs and then completing PA school - your psych background will help you with every single patient you encounter. But if you're more interested in another major (any other major) then go for it!

Wow thank you so much to everyone for the advice. My local community college where I earned my associates degree from is partnered with Wilimgton University and so I can earn my bachelors degree at my local community college. I spoke with an advisor from Wilmington and they informed me they have a psychology degree I can take online therefore I can keep my job. My science prereqs I would finish with the college itself and pay for them out of pocket. I already have some completed from my associates degree. While doing this, I was looking into becoming a volunteer EMT. Thanks again everyone.

@blondchick205:

I think you've received some good advice. Let me respond from the perspective of an admissions director.

First, the choice of major, for our program, is not relevant to the admission decision. We would much rather you major in something that interests you than forcing you to go down a path that is of lesser interest, where you will likely be less motivated to excel.

Second, the institution also does not matter; the only stipulation is that the degree and courses come from regionally accredited colleges or universities. Some programs may accept courses or degrees from "nationally" accredited institutions, but Indiana University's program does not.

You've identified Philadelphia University as your choice, but there are over 140 other PA programs out there. Once you are ready, explore them all, visit the Virtual PA Fair on July 16-17 at http://caspa.careereco.net, and talk with the programs. If you can, visit campus and talk with current students and/or alumni. They will tell you about their experiences.

Good luck to you!

Josh Morrison

Indiana University Physician Assistant Program

Archived