when are credit checks done for PA programs?

Hi does anyone know when a school checks an applicants credit?

I would imagine it is after being interviewed?

I have about $10,000 in credit card debt. I make my monthly payment on time. No home or auto loans. Just student loans and these dang credit cards! My credit score is around 500 something. Anyone who knows anything please help!!!!

Thanks everyone!!!!

The only time you will have a credit check done is if you use grad PLUS loans, and that is really only to make sure you don't have a bunch of previously defaulted student loans, or for private loans, in which case your interest rate would be based on your credit.

Great! I really appreciate everyone commenting!!! I mean I make my minimum payment on all of them but that all I can afford right now :( it good to hear that if I did get accepted somewhere I wouldn't get a well your credit is not great so you can't get in!!! I would die I have worked so hard!!! And I know this is the right career for me!!!

I make my minimum payment on all of them ...

Always pay over the minimum, even if it is only $1. Something so simple can really help your credit score and report.

A 500 credit score will leave you in need of a co-signer on your student loans, but as for school, it should not affect your application.

I think it's ridiculous that admission could be potentially denied based on a credit report. There are so many circumstances in life that can't be explained by reading a credit report. I was previously married and my ex-husband ran up so much debt on credit cards. Unfortunately, both of our names were on the cards, so I'm tied forever to that debt. When we divorced, the judge split up the bills and I paid off every single one I was given by the judge. My ex, on the other hand, has defaulted on a lot of the bills he was assigned. Even with a divorce decree, the credit card companies are not obligated to remove my name from my ex's debt. This has absolutely RUINED my credit! And it infuriates me because it is not my fault those bills are not paid. Some are months & months behind in payments. I have applied to several jobs at hospitals and I know my credit report is probably preventing me from getting a job interview. A credit report should have no bearing on your ability to perform your job or your ability to be a PA. Just had to rant....

Sopranokris omg I'm sorry to hear that!!! Luckily for me I am not married I know I agree it is total bull crap!!! I don't know why these schools think college students are supposed have such good credit when we r being milked to death with tuition and book costs that what all my debt is from!!! Good luck with the job search!!!!

Archived