Health care hours must be volunteer?

Hey guys

First time poster, been lurking here for a short while. I'll try to be brief. I'm an EMT, going for my Paramedic soon, aiming to get into a PA program in about 3 more years. However I was recently told but someone I somewhat trust that the Health Care contact hours for school have to be volunteer, and that my EMS hours won't count. Can this possibly be true? It seems counter productive and I can't imagine why that would be true. While I understand there's a lot of different schools with different requirements, I've not heard anything like this before in my research. Thanks for the help in advance.

That is absolutely not true.

YOur EMT hrs definitely count as will your paramedic hours.

A well rounded applicant often has volunteer hrs as well, but these don't have to be in healthcare (especially if you have a ton of HCE anyway), it is really just a way to demonstrate that you are involved in community and have interests and a real life outside of academic/career endeavors.

Archived