Tattoos in the workplace

I'm currently wrapping up my didactic year and am curious how my tattoos might affect me in the workplace. I have half sleeves on both arms (i.e., they run from shoulder to above the elbow. Certainly they are visible while wearing scrubs. Does anyone have any experience / insight on how this might limit my career decisions? FWIW, they aren't offensive tattoos.

In office it won't be a big deal. Wear a button down with sleeves rolled up. In the OR, there's not much you can do about it; in the ER in scrubs, wear long sleeved T-shirt under scrubs with sleeves pulled up. In OR scrubs, you'll need to wear a white coat over your scrubs anyway. The technical recommendation found in some obscure book somewhere is to wear a white coat over surgical scrubs when on the wards to avoid picking up bugs and taking them into the OR. So you'll wear your white coat on the wards, take it off right before scrubbing in, put it on right after you finish the case and voila - tats are only visible between scrub and gowning, then after you take the gown off until you put your white coat on. And as far as getting hired, likely won't be an issue as you'll wear professional attire which will cover them for the interview.

In your HCE prior to PA school, how many tattoos did you notice on the providers you were around?

In case you skipped that HCE part and haven't seen a lot of providers, I'll tell ya...there are a ton of tats on the younger generations of providers. They are just respectful to their patient population and keep them covered. It is not that they are offensive, it's more about drawing attention to one's self. The patient visit is about the patient, not about talking about the provider's tattoos. My old fashioned father explained to me that his issue about tattoos is that he believed that humility/being humble, is a noble trait. Wearing multiple piercings, crazy hairstyles/colors, visible tattoos etc all screamed "LOOK AT ME I AM AN ATTENTION SEEKER" in his opinion. He felt that if people want to assume the role of attention seeker, they should do so on their own time, and not on company/office/professional/provider time. When you go to work, you represent the job. Self expression is left for your own time.

That is the opinion of one guy, born in 1925, who served in the Navy to the rank of Master Chief, serving from 1943 to 1966. He never got any ink.

I've seen some providers with tattoos on their upper arms wear that stretchy tube-like netting over them (the kind you put over a PICC line, can't remember the name of it now). This covers them up pretty well and is an option when wearing scrubs and it's too hot out to wear a long-sleeved T-shirt (and also good for the OR; no need to feel like you have to rush to gown up just bc you have the tattoos).

Archived