Western and USC comparison-thoughts?

After this weekend, there's no hesitation in my mind. Between the two, USC (and not just because it's my alma mater). The lack of requiring or acknowledging previous experience is IMHO completely contrary to what the PA profession was founded upon and is a slap in the face to those that have built the profession to what it is today. Additionally, the over emphasis on GPA, solely being the means by which the review committee makes its assessment on who warrants an interview was enough for about 2 dozen folks to leave the post presentation Q&A session with the program director. Finally, and the nail in the coffin for me, was hearing that, "having previous medical experience will not make you a more or less competitive applicant". Again...this, to me, is completely in contradiction to what the profession was founded upon and is enough for me to delete them from my list of school's I'll be applying to.

ETA: Also...to hear that there are restrictions on what you are allowed to do on an ELECTIVE rotation because, "we are a family medicine school," is unnerving as well.

• 3 months later...

Please consider that any PA program is difficult to get into. You will have great students at both institutions (of course there will be a small number of students who struggle as well). There are way more qualified applicants than there are spot available. I think the experience will be what you make of it no matter where you go. In the end you will learn everything on your own initiative, both in your didactic and your clinical years. I graduated from Western a couple years ago. My income is in the low 3 figures, and I am still drowning in debt - so keep this in mind! In the end my advise is to work hard to be the best PA you can be, and don't think your institution is really going to make this happen for you, all they really want is your money. Best of luck, you have a lot of work ahead...

Archived