Western and USC comparison-thoughts?

Hi, I'm looking at both USC and Western and am interested in folks' comparisons between the two. Both seem like good educations. So, besides the cheaper cost and shorter time required for Western, what other reasons have people used to choose Western over USC? Anyone see any significant advantages to one school over another? (Ie, more rotation choices, better instructors, etc.)

Thanks

usc is a well established program with quality instructors and great rotation sites. they have a long tradition of excellence and a quality student body......

western has lower admission standards for both gpa and prior experience(they require none) and is less expensive to attend.....

you decide......

• 1 month later...
Guest hlgerstl

One of the main reasons that I chose USC over Western is that the clinical rotations are longer. I figure that the extra 2 weeks I spend for each rotation at USC will prepare me better in the long run. Also, we have some extra time spent in the didactic portion...which I figure will help me be more ready to tackle that clinical experience with the best of the med students that I intend to really show up. :D

-Heather

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...
How does the job outlook fare for both program graduates? I mean, would the hire rate/salary be better if one was to graduate from one or the other?

Irrelevant. Salary will be the same so long as you have the "-C" behind your name! I have personally heard that USC has a great program, but the cost of tuition plus cost of living plus interest on loans is crippling. Western has lower admissions standards, and I personally have not heard as many positive things about their program. But from what I gather, a USC grad has little to no advantage over a Western grad in getting a job. USC might be a better program, but I question whether or not it is $40-50k better (guessing on those figures, grain of salt...)

Honestly, if you really want a deal and are willing to jump through a few hoops (i.e., move to Riverside County and take a class or two at RCC) Riverside's program is the best thing going in SoCal. Get your PA-C for $7-8k and then complete your Masters online later if you so desire. RCC does require residency and student status, though, and they also attract people with a great deal of health care experience. That in my mind is a definite +++, though. You will learn as much from your classmates as you do from your instructors.

• 2 weeks later...

I already posted this on another thread but I thought it would be relevant for this thread...

I've talked to a few physicians here and there and a few of them have had experience with USC PAs and Western PAs. Both physicians said it seemed that Western PAs were most knowledgeable and comfortable with their work. I also have a friend at Western that thinks the program is great and is enjoying her rotations. On the other hand, I don't know of anyone at USC to tell me how they like it. My choice would be Western over SC

usc has been educating and utilizing pa's at their facility for over 30 yrs. they have an excellent reputation for producing quality grads and have high entry level standards. by comparison western is a relatively new program with a track record which is shaky at best. having precepted for both programs for years I am consistently impressed with usc students and consistently unimpressed with western students...in fact only 1 western student has ever received a passing grade from me....and she should have gone somewhere else for school....

Go to the CHEAPER school. No one really seems to care where you were educated as long as you have the "C". Please find the cheapest way to get your education. I think both programs are too expensive, the PA salary isn't so great when 2 grand a month is going towards your loans. I kick myself everyday for spending so much on my PA education, especially when I meet other PA's who did an online masters program and are now living very comfortably.

signed

*new grad up to her neck in student loans :(*

I'm a Western alumni and I think USC and Western are both good schools. The school that you should choose is an independent decision. Some people can afford to pay the extra money. Some people like the longer academic program and others may want a shorter program. Some do better in a large class and some do better with more attention in a small class.

Btw, USC and Western do share some clinical rotation sites if anybody is wondering.

I say if you are interested in surgery or interested in working in a predominantly hispanic community, then I think USC has an advantage. Lots of my classmates and alumni have complained that Western should provide a cadaver lab because many of us were interested in surgery. Luckily, the new anatomy professor has access to the cadavers and gave us a ridiculously fast crash course, but I think it's not sufficient. USC also emphasizes in learning medical spanish which gives them an advantage for the bilingual job positions.

Also, my take on the NO requirement for clinical experience is that you don't need it to pass the program. Your grades will be as competitive as the classmates who have clinical experience. However, my classmates who had clinical experience prior to school had an easier time finding a job than the classmates that had none because their resume looks better.

And finally, which ever school you attend, you'll have no problem becoming a PA-C.

• 1 month later...
Guest vieve500
Go to the CHEAPER school. No one really seems to care where you were educated as long as you have the "C". Please find the cheapest way to get your education. I think both programs are too expensive, the PA salary isn't so great when 2 grand a month is going towards your loans. I kick myself everyday for spending so much on my PA education, especially when I meet other PA's who did an online masters program and are now living very comfortably.

signed

*new grad up to her neck in student loans :(*

But aren't you getting paid more as a PA than the "average" person that graduates with just a bachelors? Can't you still live comfortably even though you are paying for school loans?

But aren't you getting paid more as a PA than the "average" person that graduates with just a bachelors? Can't you still live comfortably even though you are paying for school loans?

pa-c are paid for the pa-c, not the academic credential.

I work in a group of 12 pa's with credentials ranging from certificate only to phd. we all make the same salary.

I am currently a first year student at Western. My decision to go to Western over USC was a personal decision. Honestly, I had a better feel for Western. I love my school - everyone is approachable and friendly, and the faculty is amazing. We actually have two professors who graduated from the USC PA program. One of them teaches our Adult Medicine course, which is probably the most important class in PA school. The professors do a great job of teaching us clinical skills as well. I feel more confident for rotations after each OSCE and POP, which are exercises that have an actor as a patient and you try to figure out what's going on with them. My education thus far has been an awesome experience and I'm loving any minute of it, as stressful as it is.

Don't let the supposed "lower standards" at Western fool you! Even though we have "lower standards" here, we have consistenly been above national average on our PANCE 1st time pass rates, and I have not heard of anyone having difficulty getting a job after graduating from Western.

As I am sure USC's program is also great, I chose Western because I value the school's humble environment. I also felt more confident in my education at Western because I had a better experience here. I don't have any regrets on my decision.

Perhaps during your interviews with both schools you can then make your own jugements about each school and see which school is a better fit for you. Whichever school you decide on, you'll still end up with a "PA-C" after your name. Good luck!

Guest kvinh

You should determine how long you want to spend on your education as well as how much you want to spend. Just look at the first time pass rates and that says it all. BTW, the president of the California Academy of Physician Assistants teaches over at Western. He does a good job of exposing us to real medicine emphasizing on compassionate care. Sometimes professionals can forget that in their work. He was also a graduate of USC so you can't go wrong with Western.:)

Guest vieve500
pa-c are paid for the pa-c, not the academic credential.

I work in a group of 12 pa's with credentials ranging from certificate only to phd. we all make the same salary.

What I meant to say is that PAs most likely get paid better than someone who graduated with just a bachelors in any degree whereas someone with bachelors may have to work up the ladder to get the same pay as a PA. I'm trying to decide myself between Western and USC and it's driving me completely crazy. I've been asking for advice and I keep getting mixed opinions. Some say go to USC, it has a great reputation and is a networking school with a quality education and some say Western because it's cheaper and in the end it doesn't matter what school because its the same title and you won't get paid more for going to USC. Plus in the long run I will live more comfortably when it comes to paying off loans. I had a PA tell me that! But then a doctor told me it's like buying a car, do you want a Kia or a Mercedes?? Argh I'm conflicted because I can relate to both sides!!!

But then a doctor told me it's like buying a car, do you want a Kia or a Mercedes?? Argh I'm conflicted because I can relate to both sides!!!

Interesting analogy. I am an alumnus and former Associate Director of the USC PA program. I have nothing but love for that program. But, both programs have a great deal to offer any student. Their faculty are solid, both have access to decent clinical training sites, both have a good track record with the PANCE. Both have well established alumni networks to draw upon when looking for a job. You have to decide what you want from a program and what will make your time there as "pleasant" as possible. Does that make sense?

Good luck in your future PA endeavors

LesH

Interesting analogy. I am an alumnus and former Associate Director of the USC PA program. I have nothing but love for that program. But, both programs have a great deal to offer any student. Their faculty are solid, both have access to decent clinical training sites, both have a good track record with the PANCE. Both have well established alumni networks to draw upon when looking for a job. You have to decide what you want from a program and what will make your time there as "pleasant" as possible. Does that make sense?

Good luck in your future PA endeavors

LesH

I second that! haha :D

Guest kvinh

Quality in your education is what you make of it. I have worked with USC students and I had a blast with them. In the end it is the C in PA-C that matters. Nobody is going to ask for your transcript when you try to get a job. Just look at the passing rates for the PANCE and that will show how things have been. In deciding between a Kia and a Mercedes you only get the Mercedes for the name. The reliability is in the Kia which Mercedes lacks. Western and USC both get the job done so just choose the school already.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

I am currently in the interview process with both schools (I interviewed at USC and will interview at Western in January) and this is how I see it thus far. Western will get the job done but cramming all that education into two years is undoubtedly going to lead to a greater amount of stress. It will be cheaper, yes, but their alumni association is nothing compared to USC's. That is not to say Western doesn't have a good alumni network but USC preaches connections, networking, and being a part of the "USC Family", all of which you can not put a price tag on. Furthermore, I see the three year program at USC as a positive. You get an extra semester for the didactic portion (less stress/greater mastery of the material) and you get an extra semester in which you prepare for the PANCE, work on your capstone project, and have the ability to do an elective rotation of your choice (more knowledge). I believe it is clear that after talking with current students from both schools that USC allows for a better quality of life than does Western while in school. You will have time for the gym, friends, family and whatever else may be important to you. Quality of life is one of the major reasons I am choosing the field of PA over pursuing an MD so giving up that quality of life for two years while going to school makes little to no sense to me. Lastly, you are all concerned about the money. Sure, it sounds like a lot of money right now but what if you just retire one year later? Retire at 65 instead of 64. Have you not made all that money back and then some? Money is definitely important but I believe it should NEVER be the sole reason you determine which school will be a better fit for you, and your future. I was absolutely taken back by some of these comments saying to just "get the cheapest education" or "all that matters is the PA-C". I am going into this field to serve and to give back to the community. Not to be wealthy. So I will choose the school that will best prepare me to do my job to the best of my ability beginning from day #1. Just my $0.02

• 4 weeks later...

Quality of life in PA school is what you make of it.... how you prioritize things in your life, how well organized and, in turn, how efficient & effective you can become at studying will shape your "quality of life". Frankly, I just came back from a 2 week break for the holidays (and in between semesters) @ WesternU.... I recharged, took some good deep breaths and enjoyed family. It was great. But, that being said... I was ready to come back, hit the books & get closer to finishing. I think I'd go crazy with a 3 month summer... I suppose one could always work during that time to offset some of the cost. I agree to an extent, that the quality of education is more important than a price tag, but let's get real... if you have to pay for your entire education with loans it's a bit frightening & unnerving when you start adding to your bill by the 10s of thousands. Plus, you lose a year in the workforce (and pay) when prolonging your education. Definitely a case by case, but I wouldn't say everyone can "afford" the whole, pay whatever it takes to get your education and worry about paying it back later. A lot of your education & what you do with it lays on the student too... or it should, in my view. Afterall, as PA-Cs in the future, we will be needing to continually educate ourselves so we can be the best providers possible. We can't pay extra money then to ensure that someone will do that for us....

USC is 7 semesters... WesternU's is actually 6. Now our 2 summer semesters are obviously shorter than the normal fall & spring. USC takes the first summer off, pushes if to the fall, if you will, & adds another spring semester. And the difference is roughly $72k. It's a hefty number. But, again, it's case by case. Are you comfortable paying more? Are you comfortable with minimal breaks? Or do you want save a few thousand? Or do you want that first summer off? If you're determined & on the right career path, I'm confident you will adapt well to whichever program you end up choosing. And the interview process is a great time to assess personalities of faculty/staff & the overall learning environment you will be learning in. Case by case.

Awesome opinion and point of view KateD. That makes a lot of sense and I believe that WesternU is a FANTASTIC program and I would consider myself extremely fortunate to attend Western later this year. I was just upset that everyone was saying "just take whatever is cheaper" instead of actually looking at the pros and cons of the different programs. Overall, you are right. 72k is a huge difference for schools that are equally ranked by US News

Archived