Moving during rotations

When 2nd year students move for rotations, how do you move all your stuff with you? For example, I'm wondering if you bring your mattress with you each time you move to a new site, or if you buy an air mattress or sleep in a sleeping bag on the floor. Also how do you find places to stay at? Any advice?

I think it depends on the distance the rotations are from the program. Each is different, but at mine we have a set radius where our locations are. Most rotations are a drivable distance. The school also provides housing at a few of the further out locations.

I have had rotations 20 miles and up to 300 miles from home, and everywhere in between. At one rotation site, a local physician offered a room in a house that he purchased just for medical/PA students on rotation to their rural clinic. A room for the month in his furnished house was $300. The rest of the time I have stayed with friends, brother, and classmates at my other sites. So far, each place I have rotated to had a room with bedding, furnished kitchen, all the trappings. All I had to do is show up with clothes. That being said, I keep a tent, sleeping bag, and cookstove in my car. :-) Facebook and networking has worked well.

• Administrator

I was a ridiculous outlier when none of mine were more than 300 miles from school with the exception of tropical med/medical Spanish in Costa Rica...

I ended up staying with my family at one house for 3 of them, with my family in our own house for the last three, renting a room for 1 and commuting home for weekends, living with a family in Costa Rica, and renting a house and moving with my family for a 12 week primary care/rural med rotation.

Archived