how to ask a previous employer for recommendation?

I worked for a well-known university doctor on two large scale clinical trials back in 2010 and 2011. The problem is that she is incredibly abrasive, hard to read, and treated her staff very poorly, so I quit (not necessarily on bad terms as I gave proper notice, etc..but I know she was mad that I quit).

Now my issue is that since I am applying to PA school, my experience with her is invaluable, since I worked extensively on her clinical trials with heavy patient contact. Any tips on how to even begin constructing an email to her?

Sounds like someone I wouldn't want to get a recommendation from. Seems too risky, regardless of how valuable the experience was, because she could ruin your chances if she does not write a good letter. I would see if there is someone else there who you could get a letter from (doctor, PA, or another healthcare professional who you worked closely with).

Don't e-mail, go personally to ask her would be my advice, or at very minimum a phone call. It shows you really value/respect and care, also know right away whether you can get a GOOD recommendation. Be sure to ask not only for a recommendation, but a good reference. E-mail, to me, is like hiding behind a mask.

Don't get caught up on an LOR from someone that is "well-known." Did you have a supervisor that knows you well, and knows your contributions to the success of the trial? Citing the study, and what you did there should be enough.

I wouldn't risk possibly getting a negative LOR from someone that is "abrasive," "treated her staff very poorly" and that you know was "mad" that you quit.

Great LORs will NOT guarantee you a spot in any class, but a terrible LOR could be a definite deal breaker.

Thanks for the advice. I asked another doctor who also worked on the study, but he and I only worked together for a short period of time. He does not mind writing a letter, but his concern is that our short amount of time together could negatively impact my LOR, which is why he suggested asking the other doctor. I was initially against ever asking her, because of the potential that she could write a bad LOR.

I can't imagine asking for a reference from an employer if I had quit over the employer's attitude! Pick someone who you know likes you. You don't get to see their letter (unless they send it to you). I agree with SSG2PA: this juice ain't worth the squeeze!

Archived