TB treatment/prophylaxis for a patient that doesn't have TB?

So I have a 20 y/o M pt, currently going through CNA training, immigrated from the Phillipines a few years ago, hx of a bcg vaccine, had a positive PPD. Chest XR was obtained, which was negative. I wanted an interferon gamma test from the beginning - SP wants to give isoniazid for 6 months, of course I am overruled. I don't want to put the patient through 6 months of drug therapy without some proof of TB, am I in the wrong here?

I agree with Paula. Did your SP give an explanation as to why they want to go straight to isoniazid?

"because it would be good for him and he will be working in hospitals."

Don't know if it is relevant, but the pt does have hypochromic microcytosis without anemia. Pt is completely asymptomatic and appears healthy.

"because it would be good for him and he will be working in hospitals."

Don't know if it is relevant, but the pt does have hypochromic microcytosis without anemia. Pt is completely asymptomatic and appears healthy.

My husband always has a false positive for his ppd and when he went to paramedic school they made him take 6 months of isoniazid...his gp told him never to take the ppd again, go straight to the chest xray. So he just did that for his physical for PA school which starts in 2 weeks!

interferon gamma test is expensive and a bit labor intensive I can see still running the initial PPD in this guy since MOST people with that vaccine history do not test positive. if that guy wants to give him INH than I would document he wants to give it and have that patient follow up with him going forward. If he is the less than 1% of people with serious liver toxicity and it turns out he does not have a latent Infection that will not be a good situation.

Guest Paula

What was the size of the PPD reactivity? How old was he when he had the bcg vaccine? Has he had exposure to TB while living in the Phillipines? What is the rate of TB in the Phillipines? Did the answers to these questions impact the physicians decision to treat?

Archived