What to do right after high school?

I have a few questions...it would be great if someone can answer them!

1. Can I apply to a PA program/school right after high school, or do I have to attend a university for my General Education/prerequisites?

2. Is it helpful if I have a lot of volunteer hours?

3. What exactly does it mean to shadow a PA?

4. How long is PA school?

5. Is getting my CNA a good idea?

Thank you so much!!

1. You need a bachelor's (4 year) degree to apply to almost all PA schools.

2. Yes but not required.

3. Shadowing is to follow around a PA during their shift to get a feel for what the profession is like.

4. after your bachelor's, PA school is a 2 year Master's degree.

5. Yes! Work while you are getting your Bachelor's if you can.

I believe Quinnipiac's PA program has something like that...

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/school-of-health-sciences/graduate-programs/master-of-health-science-physician-assistant/

The PA student looks like she is 12... lol

Here's the link to their direct-entry program: http://www.quinnipiac.edu/academics/colleges-schools-and-departments/school-of-health-sciences/departments-and-faculty/department-of-biomedical-sciences/entry-level-masters-physician-assistant/

It's a 4+2 program. Their tuition is REALLY high, so that extra year of undergrad compared to a 3+2 program cost you about $50K. Easier class load, though, spreading it out over 4 years.

I talked to some faculty when my daughter went there for an open house. They told me their direct-entry students do better in the program than their students who come in later with a BS from another school.

I talked to some faculty when my daughter went there for an open house. They told me their direct-entry students do better in the program than their students who come in later with a BS from another school.

Home field advantage maybe...lol

I think the other students may have pesky lives and other things that come with post-grad and gaps in training that may compete with their focus and time. At least the direct entry students do not have any thing else going on. If they choose they can be focused like laser beams on the PA goal... and no gaps is pretty good to keep their education momentum going.

Archived