Direct patient care requirement

I had a question about patient care hours. I was wondering if I could get your opinion on what specialty would make me more competitive for PA school. I am trying to decided between a position at an ob/gyn practice and dermatology. I am interested in both and was wondering which looks more impressive for PA school. Thank you for your advice in advance!!

I had a question about patient care hours. I was wondering if I could get your opinion on what specialty would make me more competitive for PA school. I am trying to decided between a position at an ob/gyn practice and dermatology. I am interested in both and was wondering which looks more impressive for PA school. Thank you for your advice in advance!!

I have no patient care experience, and am only a first year so take this with a grain of salt. Choose the one where u have the most interaction with patients, not just filing paperwork or changing linens. If they both give the same amount of interaction choose the one you like best. The happier you are the better experience you'll have and the more you'll get out of it! As far as obgyn... It's closer to general family practice than derm is. So you may see/hear more general things in that regard

There are many intangibles here. Experience will be good; which place will let you do and see more, which place to you think you would enjoy the most, at which place are you more likely to find a good mentor, and which place might you consider coming back to as a PA? I wouldn't worry as much about finding the most impressive place; find a place where you can learn the most and enjoy your time.

Good luck!

Archived