NHSC Scholarships for PA School

There is a wonderful scholarship available for PA students who are interested in working in Primary Care. This scholarship pays your entire tuition, gives a monthly stipend and other reasonable costs in return for a two year commitment to serve in an underserved area. These areas all all over the country, including Alaska & Hawaii. I am a 2012 PA school graduate who received this scholarship in 2010. I am working in a primary care clinic in California and love it. I am debt free! If anyone has any questions about this scholarship, please post them or pm me and I would be glad to answer them.

There is a wonderful scholarship available for PA students who are interested in working in Primary Care. This scholarship pays your entire tuition, gives a monthly stipend and other reasonable costs in return for a two year commitment to serve in an underserved area. These areas all all over the country, including Alaska & Hawaii. I am a 2012 PA school graduate who received this scholarship in 2010. I am working in a primary care clinic in California and love it. I am debt free! If anyone has any questions about this scholarship, please post them or pm me and I would be glad to answer them.

Thank you for the generous offer to answer questions regarding the NHSC scholarship! I've been considering this scholarship (applying this year) deeply, and here is my question: how easy / hard was it and/or how badly did you stress out about the job possibilities in your desired area? For example, I live in Southern California, I am hoping to attend school in SoCal, and my whole life is here, including my (bought and paid for) house and my fiance. However, urban underserved areas are exactly where I want to practice as a PA, so this scholarship seems like such a great fit for me. I would love to hear more about your experience. Thanks for your time!

Thank you for the generous offer to answer questions regarding the NHSC scholarship! I've been considering this scholarship (applying this year) deeply, and here is my question: how easy / hard was it and/or how badly did you stress out about the job possibilities in your desired area? For example, I live in Southern California, I am hoping to attend school in SoCal, and my whole life is here, including my (bought and paid for) house and my fiance. However, urban underserved areas are exactly where I want to practice as a PA, so this scholarship seems like such a great fit for me. I would love to hear more about your experience. Thanks for your time!

ktcan10, the application was fairly easy...an essay and i believe three reference letters. I hear the application is online now which would make the process even more convenient. The pins & needles part is the wait...the deadline is in May (May 14 is the deadline this year) and you don't hear from the NHSC until the Fall. My program started in July so I took out loans for the summer and Fall semesters. When I was notified in the Fall, the NHSC sent me a retroactve check for the monthly stipends from July to Nov, then paid off the Summer & Fall loans. From then on it was even easier...every semester all I needed to do was have my Registrar fax a form to verify that I was still a student in good standing, and the gov paid the school directly. I didn't stress at all about areas because I was willing to relocate. There are enough openings in the San Joaquin Valley of California. That's not too far from you and something you may want to consider. Look at the website www.nhscjobs.hrsa.gov/ and you can check out the current openings. Keep in mind that the HPSA score for the scholars is higher than for the loan repayers. The 2012 score needed was 16 for the scholars. That can change, though. I work with PAs and MDs who live in SoCal and NorCal and drive home each weekend. Only you can decide if that's doable. Good luck!

ktcan10, the application was fairly easy...an essay and i believe three reference letters. I hear the application is online now which would make the process even more convenient. The pins & needles part is the wait...the deadline is in May (May 14 is the deadline this year) and you don't hear from the NHSC until the Fall. My program started in July so I took out loans for the summer and Fall semesters. When I was notified in the Fall, the NHSC sent me a retroactve check for the monthly stipends from July to Nov, then paid off the Summer & Fall loans. From then on it was even easier...every semester all I needed to do was have my Registrar fax a form to verify that I was still a student in good standing, and the gov paid the school directly. I didn't stress at all about areas because I was willing to relocate. There are enough openings in the San Joaquin Valley of California. That's not too far from you and something you may want to consider. Look at the website www.nhscjobs.hrsa.gov/ and you can check out the current openings. Keep in mind that the HPSA score for the scholars is higher than for the loan repayers. The 2012 score needed was 16 for the scholars. That can change, though. I work with PAs and MDs who live in SoCal and NorCal and drive home each weekend. Only you can decide if that's doable. Good luck!

Too late for THIS year but when is the anticipated start date of school for you? If you are applying for a 2014 admission date, you can apply for the scholarship next year. It usually opens in March and closes in May, only a 2 month window to apply.

jts,

Thanks for starting this discussion. I posted the message below to another thread that you were on. I'd like to get your opinion. Thanks!

A big THANK YOU to all of the posters here answering questions about the NHSC programs. I'm an applicant for the scholarship this cycle.

I would really like to know how important it is to be a "Disadvantaged Student" or someone who qualifies for EFN (Extreme Financial Need)? According to the NHSC website, applicants with EFN are given the highest priority, followed by students with a Disadvantaged Background. For those who received the scholarship last year, did you qualify as Disadvantaged? I'm hearing varying opinions on this subject. There seems to be a group that believes it's not even worth applying if you are not Disadvantaged or have EFN. But, it seems that there are some that received the award without that status. A quick p

As if getting accepted into PA school was not challenging enough ;-) the NHSC scholarship appears to be extremely competitive. Over 2,000 applicants for ~200 awards. Daunting indeed. One of the customer service reps at NHSC told me there could be more than double the number of applicants. Who knows if that is true or not.

I have looked into the loan repayment option. Seems like it would be a great way to go, but I'm concerned about being able to find a job with a 13 status or higher. Our local heath dept. qualifies as a 17, but there's only 1 PA job posted. I hope there'll be an opening by the time I'm in the position to apply for this!!! I don't know any other way I'm going to be able to afford the $87,000 for PA school otherwise. :eek:

I am so glad you posted this, I was always curious about this scholarship. Are there certain things the scholarship look for, such as volunteer with the undeserved community? What makes you a competitive applicant for this scholarship?

You are very welcome, Elmers! The NHSC definitely looks for a commitment on the applicant's part to work with undeserved populations. They try to screen applicants to offer the scholarship to those who are more likely to continue serving in these communities and not to those who are only interested in only doing their two years. So the most competitive applicant will show by prior volunteer or paid experience that he or she has already worked with disadvantaged or undeserved people. Hope this helps!

Hi jts! Thank you for starting this thread! I too am interested in applying for an NHSC scholarship. I have worked in primary care research for almost 4 years and have researched ways to make primary care more affordable and accesible from a treatment viewpoint. Now I'm hoping to do my part as a PA :)

I'm wondering if NHSC is open to finding new sites where graduates can work? I'm from a very rural area in the Upper Peninsula

of Michigan. I one day hope to return there and practice in one of the rural clinics that they have. I will also inquire with NHSC- but since I saw your post I thought I'd ask! Thanks again!

jts - I applied this cycle because I'm interested in primary care regardless of whether I get the scholarship, but I've heard both good and bad things about it. Many people have mentioned that it is very unorganized and that it takes quite some time to reach someone if you need help regarding any issues once you're already a scholarship recipient. Is that true? What has your experience been like as a PA student with the scholarship? Also, I might be jumping the gun, but how do they determine your "other reasonable costs"? Thanks!

sstrell1- All I can say is that my experiences with the NHSC have been positive and overwhelmingly supportive. I was contacted during my third rotation (9 months before my graduation!) by my regional coordinator who just wanted to introduce himself and get an idea of where I might want to serve. AT that time I cited several states that I might be interested int. He continued to be very supportive of my wishes and helped in my job search immensely. When I interviewed at a site across the country from where I lived and went to PA School, the NHSC paid for the airfare and hotel where I interviewed. I ultimately decided to take that position and a move across the country was much less challenging with the NHSC's help and support. They were fast and efficient in coordinating the entire move, which involved sending people to my apt to get an estimate of the costs, arranging a different company to arrive and pack up my granite table to avoid damaging it, moving my furniture and goods, and paying my airfare and rental car in my new location. The costs that i did pay out of pocket were reimbursed in 4-6 weeks with no problems. Even when I started my new job, I received a call from a contact person at the NHSC to make sure that I was satisfied in my new job and to offer me his support if I should need it for my two-year commitment. All along the way, from the day I learned I received the scholarship until the present, the NHSC has been supportive, organized, encouraging, and very informative. As for the ORC (other reasonable costs), I am not sure how it is determined but I do know that the two sizable checks (one each semester) during my didactic year were a huge help!

Archived