Harrison's 17th vs 18th edition anynone?

Hi all,

I am going to be purchasing Harrison's internal med shortly.

The 17th edition is from 2008, while the 18th edition (current) was printed in 2011 but is also 2-3 x more expensive. Has anyone had experience with both? Is there much of difference between editions? I am willing to pay the extra money of course if the updated content justifies, however I don't want to pay more if the difference is negligible.

Thanks!

Hi all,

The 17th edition is from 2008, while the 18th edition (current) was printed in 2011 but is also 2-3 x more expensive. Has anyone had experience with both? Is there much of difference between editions? I am willing to pay the extra money of course if the updated content justifies, however I don't want to pay more if the difference is negligible.

Thanks!

Hi all,

Thanks!

I bought Cecil's previous edition for $15. I recommend old edition but use Current 2013 or something for updated treatments. YOur school should have online books too.

I bought Cecil's previous edition for $15. I recommend old edition but use Current 2013 or something for updated treatments. YOur school should have online books too.

I second whomever mentioned getting it online or borrowing from library. I used this book rarely during didactic year (I have the 18th edition)... at the beginning of the year the level of the content was way beyond my comprehension so it was of limited help studying. Later when I could understand what I was reading, I found smaller texts and CMDT much more useful. I do still sometimes go to it as a resource for written assignments, but I haven't found much that doesn't exist anywhere else for cheaper/ easier.

I second whomever mentioned getting it online or borrowing from library. I used this book rarely during didactic year (I have the 18th edition)... at the beginning of the year the level of the content was way beyond my comprehension so it was of limited help studying. Later when I could understand what I was reading, I found smaller texts and CMDT much more useful. I do still sometimes go to it as a resource for written assignments, but I haven't found much that doesn't exist anywhere else for cheaper/ easier.

Archived