iPad mini for clinical rotations?

Currently in clinical rotations and I use my iPad mini daily. To me it is worth it. I have many text books, 5 minute clinical consult, and various medical apps that I use at any point during the day and it is in one compact place. I still have a paper copy of tarascon IM i carry too but my mini has served me well thus far. I typically use it for a quick reference in between cases or when I want to read on a topic in the rare moment of down time. For instance this week I have arrived to the gyn clinic early and have been able to read various topics i knew would be coming up in the day. If there was extended time between surgical cases I read anything I can find pertaining to the next case. Many of the docs ive been around have become very interested in my mini and some have even asked to borrow it. No regrets.

Currently in clinical rotations and I use my iPad mini daily. To me it is worth it. I have many text books, 5 minute clinical consult, and various medical apps that I use at any point during the day and it is in one compact place. I still have a paper copy of tarascon IM i carry too but my mini has served me well thus far. I typically use it for a quick reference in between cases or when I want to read on a topic in the rare moment of down time. For instance this week I have arrived to the gyn clinic early and have been able to read various topics i knew would be coming up in the day. If there was extended time between surgical cases I read anything I can find pertaining to the next case. Many of the docs ive been around have become very interested in my mini and some have even asked to borrow it. No regrets.

• Administrator
I think referencing any sort of electronic device in front of a patient could be considered rude/unprofessional. Personally, when I need to look something up, it's going to be "out of sight".

Heh. I pull out my iPod all the time with a "let me double check that dosage..." and no one has ever complained. (Of course, for all the really common drugs, EPIC already has the dosages...)

• Administrator
I think referencing any sort of electronic device in front of a patient could be considered rude/unprofessional. Personally, when I need to look something up, it's going to be "out of sight".

Heh. I pull out my iPod all the time with a "let me double check that dosage..." and no one has ever complained. (Of course, for all the really common drugs, EPIC already has the dosages...)

I think referencing any sort of electronic device in front of a patient could be considered rude/unprofessional. Personally, when I need to look something up, it's going to be "out of sight". The estate of Mr. Jobs doesn't need any more of my loan money. iPhone it is.
I too use my iPhone/iPod in the room with patients. They appreciate me looking up adverse reactions for any medication I am prescribing. Maybe some of you can remember all of the reactions for all of the meds, but I can't. If a patient asks you what the adverse reactions to a medication, are you going to step outside the room, look up the medication and then pop back in the room?

I think referencing any sort of electronic device in front of a patient could be considered rude/unprofessional. Personally, when I need to look something up, it's going to be "out of sight". The estate of Mr. Jobs doesn't need any more of my loan money. iPhone it is.
I too use my iPhone/iPod in the room with patients. They appreciate me looking up adverse reactions for any medication I am prescribing. Maybe some of you can remember all of the reactions for all of the meds, but I can't. If a patient asks you what the adverse reactions to a medication, are you going to step outside the room, look up the medication and then pop back in the room?

I bought a mini for my rotations which start in september. I haven't used it in the hospital yet but I find myself wishing I had it with me when I am at the hospital.

I bought a mini for my rotations which start in september. I haven't used it in the hospital yet but I find myself wishing I had it with me when I am at the hospital.

Archived