iPad mini for clinical rotations?

I'm planning on purchasing one for clinicals as well. Some people have apps on their phone, but this looks like you're texting even if you're on epocrates and can lead people to make rash judgments even if you're not doing anything wrong. So, in an effort to look professional, I'm going to go with the ipad mini (fits nicely in pocket, etc).

I'm planning on purchasing one for clinicals as well. Some people have apps on their phone, but this looks like you're texting even if you're on epocrates and can lead people to make rash judgments even if you're not doing anything wrong. So, in an effort to look professional, I'm going to go with the ipad mini (fits nicely in pocket, etc).

iPad mini is better than iPad for clinical rotations. They just fit better in your pocket. The apps available are amazing to assist with clinical decision making and referencing evidence based practice. I did not use either - just my iPhone. There is not one person that doesn't know that an iPhone can be used for something other than texting. If they want the best care, then they shouldn't worry so much about wether you are texting, looking on ePoc/Medscape, or accessing UpToDate. As for cost, you have to pay for wireless access for iPads as many sites will not have available wireless. In my case, it was just cheaper/cost effective to use one device - my iPhone. For notes/charting, your iPad probably won't interface with EMR anyway, so jotting notes on paper/napkins/scraps is just fine.

iPad mini is better than iPad for clinical rotations. They just fit better in your pocket. The apps available are amazing to assist with clinical decision making and referencing evidence based practice. I did not use either - just my iPhone. There is not one person that doesn't know that an iPhone can be used for something other than texting. If they want the best care, then they shouldn't worry so much about wether you are texting, looking on ePoc/Medscape, or accessing UpToDate. As for cost, you have to pay for wireless access for iPads as many sites will not have available wireless. In my case, it was just cheaper/cost effective to use one device - my iPhone. For notes/charting, your iPad probably won't interface with EMR anyway, so jotting notes on paper/napkins/scraps is just fine.

I think referencing any sort of electronic device in front of a patient could be considered rude/unprofessional. Personally, when I need to look something up, it's going to be "out of sight". The estate of Mr. Jobs doesn't need any more of my loan money. iPhone it is.

I think referencing any sort of electronic device in front of a patient could be considered rude/unprofessional. Personally, when I need to look something up, it's going to be "out of sight". The estate of Mr. Jobs doesn't need any more of my loan money. iPhone it is.

I'm considering getting a nexus 7 or ipad mini or ipod for rotations. I don't have a smartphone, and think I will need something that supports apps. Even without internet, wifi should be relatively accessible. And I could be wrong but it seems like many apps don't require internet once you have them downloaded.

Although I have a laptop, it seems too cumbersome.

I'm interested to hear other's advice/experiences too.

I'm considering getting a nexus 7 or ipad mini or ipod for rotations. I don't have a smartphone, and think I will need something that supports apps. Even without internet, wifi should be relatively accessible. And I could be wrong but it seems like many apps don't require internet once you have them downloaded.

Although I have a laptop, it seems too cumbersome.

I'm interested to hear other's advice/experiences too.

Archived