Controlled Vs. Noncontrolled Substances

IN will have new laws in effect starting July 1 that will allow PAs to prescribe noncontrolled substances without having to comply with the previous requirement of one year of employment prior to Rx privileges.

So this gets us Rx privileges to prescribe OTC products as well as..............?? Antibiotics? What else? Seems somewhat silly.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IN will have new laws in effect starting July 1 that will allow PAs to prescribe noncontrolled substances without having to comply with the previous requirement of one year of employment prior to Rx privileges.

So this gets us Rx privileges to prescribe OTC products as well as..............?? Antibiotics? What else? Seems somewhat silly.

I don't live in Indiana, but I'm guessing that they speak of prescription drugs that are controlled (i.e., prescribing doesn't require a DEA number). I didn't bother to get a DEA number until recently because cardiac meds, SSRIs, antibiotics, etc are prescription, but not controlled.

If you have epocrates, the drugs that pop up as "Rx" are in this class.

I don't live in Indiana, but I'm guessing that they speak of prescription drugs that are controlled (i.e., prescribing doesn't require a DEA number). I didn't bother to get a DEA number until recently because cardiac meds, SSRIs, antibiotics, etc are prescription, but not controlled.

This sounds like a great step forward for PA's in Indiana. It had to have been extremely frustrating and time-consuming to have someone co-sign ALL of your prescriptions the first year out of school.

It's definitely not silly. EVERYTHING except scheduled medications falls under this category.

This sounds like a great step forward for PA's in Indiana. It had to have been extremely frustrating and time-consuming to have someone co-sign ALL of your prescriptions the first year out of school.

It's definitely not silly. EVERYTHING except scheduled medications falls under this category.

Nobody can write Schedule I, aside from a handful of research applications. Schedule II is your opioids, as well as some of your hypnotics/ sedatives. Schedule III through V together make up the vast majority of Rx drugs. Blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds, antibiotics, sleep aids, etc.

I guess my state is just forward-thinking, because I can write anything my MD can, and I do it under my own NPI number and my own DEA number, and always have. Indiana sounds like it has a way to go yet, if you still can't do Schedule II or the controlled-substances parts of Schedule III and IV.

Can you write codeiene cough syrup? Zolpidem? Alprazolam?

Nobody can write Schedule I, aside from a handful of research applications. Schedule II is your opioids, as well as some of your hypnotics/ sedatives. Schedule III through V together make up the vast majority of Rx drugs. Blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds, antibiotics, sleep aids, etc.

I guess my state is just forward-thinking, because I can write anything my MD can, and I do it under my own NPI number and my own DEA number, and always have. Indiana sounds like it has a way to go yet, if you still can't do Schedule II or the controlled-substances parts of Schedule III and IV.

"Nobody can write Schedule I, aside from a handful of research applications. Schedule II is your opioids, as well as some of your hypnotics/ sedatives. Schedule III through V together make up the vast majority of Rx drugs. Blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds, antibiotics, sleep aids, etc."

This is not the case in Texas. Scheduled/controlled drugs are those which have the potential for dependency/abuse and require a DEA number. These do not include antibiotics, NSAIDS, some SMR's, and other classes of drugs. An example would be Flexeril being a dangerous drug but Soma alone being a class/schedule IV drug, thus it can't be written for without a DEA number.

"Nobody can write Schedule I, aside from a handful of research applications. Schedule II is your opioids, as well as some of your hypnotics/ sedatives. Schedule III through V together make up the vast majority of Rx drugs. Blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds, antibiotics, sleep aids, etc."

This is not the case in Texas. Scheduled/controlled drugs are those which have the potential for dependency/abuse and require a DEA number. These do not include antibiotics, NSAIDS, some SMR's, and other classes of drugs. An example would be Flexeril being a dangerous drug but Soma alone being a class/schedule IV drug, thus it can't be written for without a DEA number.

That's not the case anywhere. The bolded meds are non-controlled.

God almighty.

This is basic prescription writing 101.

The FEDERAL GOVERNMENT via legislation via the DEA classify certain drugs, and categories of drugs as " controlled"

To prescribe these drugs, you need a DEA number, issued by the Feds, restricted by state laws which establish which level of controlled drugs you can write for (2-5, or 3-5, or 4-5 only.)

ALL other drugs are classified as " non controlled"

As you can write for them without a DEA number.

All and any of them, excepting those restricted from you by the state ( in north Carolina, no restrictions, in south Carolina, cannot write for occular steroids, for example),

And that list is further restricted by whatever you and your doc have stated in he supervisory/collaborative agreement (" mr Davis may not write for abortificants" for example.

Capice?

God almighty.

The FEDERAL GOVERNMENT via legislation via the DEA classify certain drugs, and categories of drugs as " controlled"

To prescribe these drugs, you need a DEA number, issued by the Feds, restricted by state laws which establish which level of controlled drugs you can write for (2-5, or 3-5, or 4-5 only.)

All and any of them, excepting those restricted from you by the state ( in north Carolina, no restrictions, in south Carolina, cannot write for occular steroids, for example),

And that list is further restricted by whatever you and your doc have stated in he supervisory/collaborative agreement (" mr Davis may not write for abortificants" for example.

Capice?

God almighty.

Capice?

What the original poster also failed to mention, which is far more important to those of us already practicing in Indiana.....is the addition of schedule II drugs! Finally, (as of july 1, 2013) I won't have to ask an NP to write for Percocet to discharge a patient. Honesty, the whole first year without Rx was a pain the butt, but routinely having to find an NP / MD in my practice to sign II narcs is annoying!

Also, are gaining the ability to provide refills on controlled substances.

This is going to be HUGE (I hope) for PA positions in Indiana. There is a strong pull in some systems / locations for NP's in Indiana based partly on restrictive Rx laws. The laws have been restrictive for PA's since we gained the ability to prescribe in circa 2007(?) because our State Legislature has a particularly ANTI-PA former nurse now lawmaker.

Archived