PA vs. MD/DO

Hi all,

I know this has been re-hashed many times over, but any input would be appreciated. I've been accepted to two top 5 programs, but I'm starting to feel a little intimidated by the massive amount of debt vs. earning potential of a PA. I have this little nagging feeling inside that I would be better of going the MD route. I want to enter primary care, and having 100k+ of debt for a GP's salary is daunting. I'm female, 28, and want to have a family eventually, so the idea of entering 4 years of med school + 3 years of residency is daunting as well (plus the crazy amount of debt associated with that).

Seeing a lot of the posts in this forum make me question my future ability to find meaningful, well paying work as a PA. I know about loan repayment options, but it seems incredibly difficult to land a NCHS scholarship, slightly less so but still difficult to find a job as a PA at a site after graduation, whereas NHSC sites seem to be always looking for physicians.

Maybe I'm over-analyzing this and should just make the leap--the PAs I've worked with have all been phenomenal and I would be incredibly happy with their careers. Plus, there's this interesting article about how women seem to be better off as PAs: http://blogs.wsj.com/ideas-market/2012/07/24/does-becoming-a-doctor-pay-off-for-women/ . I don't feel the need to be the boss, and I really don't care about the prestige of the "Dr." title. But, I just can't shake this nervous feeling--but I've never made such a huge monetary investment in something before, so maybe that's just the way everybody feels before doing something like this?

Anybody have thoughts on this?

Hi all,

I know this has been re-hashed many times over, but any input would be appreciated. I've been accepted to two top 5 programs, but I'm starting to feel a little intimidated by the massive amount of debt vs. earning potential of a PA. I have this little nagging feeling inside that I would be better of going the MD route. I want to enter primary care, and having 100k+ of debt for a GP's salary is daunting. I'm female, 28, and want to have a family eventually, so the idea of entering 4 years of med school + 3 years of residency is daunting as well (plus the crazy amount of debt associated with that).

Seeing a lot of the posts in this forum make me question my future ability to find meaningful, well paying work as a PA. I know about loan repayment options, but it seems incredibly difficult to land a NCHS scholarship, slightly less so but still difficult to find a job as a PA at a site after graduation, whereas NHSC sites seem to be always looking for physicians.

Maybe I'm over-analyzing this and should just make the leap--the PAs I've worked with have all been phenomenal and I would be incredibly happy with their careers. Plus, there's this interesting article about how women seem to be better off as PAs: http://blogs.wsj.com/ideas-market/2012/07/24/does-becoming-a-doctor-pay-off-for-women/ . I don't feel the need to be the boss, and I really don't care about the prestige of the "Dr." title. But, I just can't shake this nervous feeling--but I've never made such a huge monetary investment in something before, so maybe that's just the way everybody feels before doing something like this?

Hi all,

I am starting over the summer a PA program, and it is going to cost me over 100K like you said. You can call me stupid may be, but I try not to think about the amount of debt I am in/will be in. On the other hand, I want to have nothing to do with Primary care at least right now. I am also 28 by the way, married, no kids yet. And I also want to have a family in a relatively near future. You have to starighten out your priorities. If salary vs. amount of debt bothers you so much, then strongly consider MD route. Think though: you will invest 7 years just in school. Another 1-2 years to get into Med school, debt over 200K, and MD's primary care salary is not so huge. So... weight all pros and cons and go for it!

I am starting over the summer a PA program, and it is going to cost me over 100K like you said. You can call me stupid may be, but I try not to think about the amount of debt I am in/will be in. On the other hand, I want to have nothing to do with Primary care at least right now. I am also 28 by the way, married, no kids yet. And I also want to have a family in a relatively near future. You have to starighten out your priorities. If salary vs. amount of debt bothers you so much, then strongly consider MD route. Think though: you will invest 7 years just in school. Another 1-2 years to get into Med school, debt over 200K, and MD's primary care salary is not so huge. So... weight all pros and cons and go for it!

I am still in the Pre-PA phase, completing prerequisites and looking to apply for the 14-15 Academic Year. In the research I have done, I would honestly say that considering your goals (professional and personal) will ultimately tell you which route to take.

An MD will almost certainly guarantee more than $100K in debt, and considering how long your internship, residency, and fellowships last (not including time spent looking for one, interviewing, getting hired, taking/passing exams, etc), you wont actually see a return on your investment for close to a decade.

An MPAS (or something similar) on the other hand is usually a 2-3 year time commitment, depending on the program. If you were accepted to two top-5 programs (congrats!), then they will definitely have a career center to assist you in finding job placement. Keep in mind the school needs to keep its statistics as polished as possible for recruitment, retention, and accreditation. I found this link just today outlining stats based off a survey of PA's across the country. As with any study, take the statistics with a grain of salt, but it's a refreshing confirmation of your (and the greater 'our') choice to pursue this career.

Ultimately, my opinion on the PA vs. MD debate has a lot to do with your goals, how you view where you are in life, and what sacrifices you are willing to make. I have a friend who went to med school, and is currently in his 2nd year of residency in Internal Medicine. He loves his choice, but is almost 32 and still has 3 more years until he can take his boards to be certified, and is waiting to start a family until he can manage his school debt and be eligible to apply for fellowships across the country. Personally, 34-35 is a bit late for me to start thinking about a family, which is why I've chosen to go after a PA. I am willing to sacrifice a small amount of titular respect in order to be in a career that will allow me to meet my personal goals, as well as maintain the lifestyle I would like.

I don't know if all this rambling helped, but I hope it at least gave you something to consider.

I am still in the Pre-PA phase, completing prerequisites and looking to apply for the 14-15 Academic Year. In the research I have done, I would honestly say that considering your goals (professional and personal) will ultimately tell you which route to take.

An MD will almost certainly guarantee more than $100K in debt, and considering how long your internship, residency, and fellowships last (not including time spent looking for one, interviewing, getting hired, taking/passing exams, etc), you wont actually see a return on your investment for close to a decade.

An MPAS (or something similar) on the other hand is usually a 2-3 year time commitment, depending on the program. If you were accepted to two top-5 programs (congrats!), then they will definitely have a career center to assist you in finding job placement. Keep in mind the school needs to keep its statistics as polished as possible for recruitment, retention, and accreditation. I found this link just today outlining stats based off a survey of PA's across the country. As with any study, take the statistics with a grain of salt, but it's a refreshing confirmation of your (and the greater 'our') choice to pursue this career.

Ultimately, my opinion on the PA vs. MD debate has a lot to do with your goals, how you view where you are in life, and what sacrifices you are willing to make. I have a friend who went to med school, and is currently in his 2nd year of residency in Internal Medicine. He loves his choice, but is almost 32 and still has 3 more years until he can take his boards to be certified, and is waiting to start a family until he can manage his school debt and be eligible to apply for fellowships across the country. Personally, 34-35 is a bit late for me to start thinking about a family, which is why I've chosen to go after a PA. I am willing to sacrifice a small amount of titular respect in order to be in a career that will allow me to meet my personal goals, as well as maintain the lifestyle I would like.

I don't know if all this rambling helped, but I hope it at least gave you something to consider.

I am still in the Pre-PA phase, completing prerequisites and looking to apply for the 14-15 Academic Year. In the research I have done, I would honestly say that considering your goals (professional and personal) will ultimately tell you whoich route to take.

Very well thought out, mature and helpful response. Good luck on getting into pa school,it sounds like you're on the right path.

I am still in the Pre-PA phase, completing prerequisites and looking to apply for the 14-15 Academic Year. In the research I have done, I would honestly say that considering your goals (professional and personal) will ultimately tell you whoich route to take.

Very well thought out, mature and helpful response. Good luck on getting into pa school,it sounds like you're on the right path.

I for one am turning down med school with an easy way to pay for all of it. Me choosing PA school is definitely the more expensive option but it all comes down to your personality and what you will like and enjoy. Money helps you out in life but it doesn't help you live your life or define it. (Unless you let it or think it should, in that case I suggest MD, or just get out of healthcare period). If you don't need or want that all encompassing autonomy of an MD- PA might be the option. That seems to be the main complaint of PAs. I've heard of having kids in residencies but nobody can say it would be an easy thing to do, that would definitely be a lot of stress for everyone involved.

One thing I have considered, not sure if it is smart to think of it like this but anyways...The time investment of school will definitely change someone. I know I change pretty easily because of my environment. So here is one of my thoughts- med school is so long and the residency afterward so stressful, I feel like I would become a little more jaded and callous toward others. I do not want that to happen. I'm not saying PA school will be a cake walk but the mentality of many PA schools seems a little more friendly than med school. I like to think of myself as a nice person who has gone through some life events that make me a very empathetic person for such a young age. I don't want that to change and I know I'm in charge of who I am but I'd still like control over my environment. MDs have an amazing mind and I am impressed by it, but I do not want to be the MD who is smart but loses good bedside manner because I spent so long in school, and I fear that would happen to me. Another thing is consider all the pre med kids who are on track to go to med school. Did you like them? Would you want to spend the next few years of your life with them? My quick answer was no. That helped me decide as well. I know that is stereotyping- there are wonderful, mature, caring MDs, I've had the same physician since I was born and he is awesome; but out of all the pre med kids in my college courses, I got along with few of them. So to me the time in PA school, although difficult, would be more enjoyable than med school. Along the same thought process I also considder who I have met as PAs or MDs. I feel like my personality fits and is more similar to PAs as opposed to MDs, so maybe thats a better choice for me.

Anyways those are some of my thoughts. In the end we won't know until we go for one thing or another. And in the end we all need to learn to be happy with our choices and what life throws in front of us, intentional or not. Some people regret not doing MD and vice versa. It's an unhealthy way to think, there are positives that come out of almost everything in life. Sorry if this is hard to understand, these are thoughts directly splattered onto the page.

I for one am turning down med school with an easy way to pay for all of it. Me choosing PA school is definitely the more expensive option but it all comes down to your personality and what you will like and enjoy. Money helps you out in life but it doesn't help you live your life or define it. (Unless you let it or think it should, in that case I suggest MD, or just get out of healthcare period). If you don't need or want that all encompassing autonomy of an MD- PA might be the option. That seems to be the main complaint of PAs. I've heard of having kids in residencies but nobody can say it would be an easy thing to do, that would definitely be a lot of stress for everyone involved.

One thing I have considered, not sure if it is smart to think of it like this but anyways...The time investment of school will definitely change someone. I know I change pretty easily because of my environment. So here is one of my thoughts- med school is so long and the residency afterward so stressful, I feel like I would become a little more jaded and callous toward others. I do not want that to happen. I'm not saying PA school will be a cake walk but the mentality of many PA schools seems a little more friendly than med school. I like to think of myself as a nice person who has gone through some life events that make me a very empathetic person for such a young age. I don't want that to change and I know I'm in charge of who I am but I'd still like control over my environment. MDs have an amazing mind and I am impressed by it, but I do not want to be the MD who is smart but loses good bedside manner because I spent so long in school, and I fear that would happen to me. Another thing is consider all the pre med kids who are on track to go to med school. Did you like them? Would you want to spend the next few years of your life with them? My quick answer was no. That helped me decide as well. I know that is stereotyping- there are wonderful, mature, caring MDs, I've had the same physician since I was born and he is awesome; but out of all the pre med kids in my college courses, I got along with few of them. So to me the time in PA school, although difficult, would be more enjoyable than med school. Along the same thought process I also considder who I have met as PAs or MDs. I feel like my personality fits and is more similar to PAs as opposed to MDs, so maybe thats a better choice for me.

Anyways those are some of my thoughts. In the end we won't know until we go for one thing or another. And in the end we all need to learn to be happy with our choices and what life throws in front of us, intentional or not. Some people regret not doing MD and vice versa. It's an unhealthy way to think, there are positives that come out of almost everything in life. Sorry if this is hard to understand, these are thoughts directly splattered onto the page.

Archived