Which HCE hours would be best for my MEDEX application?

Being a Navy Corpsman, growing up in Northern California, and not having a Bachelor's degree, I feel that MEDEX is a good fit for me, however, I'm still unsure which of my current job opportunities will give me the best opportunity to get an acceptance letter my first time around.

I have offers for a Med-Surg float position at Phoenix Children's Hospital, a medical assistant position at a local Indian Reservation clinic, and an ER Tech position at a soon to be level 1 trauma facility.

I think Phoenix Children's would be the one I would enjoy and learn the most from since all I've done is practice EM/Trauma. I think the MA position would look best on my application since its working with an undeserved population which is what they're big on. I think since I want to eventually practice EM as a PA that the level 1 would be an amazing learning experience.

Kind of torn between what is best for my career and what will get me into MEDEX.

Being a Navy Corpsman, growing up in Northern California, and not having a Bachelor's degree, I feel that MEDEX is a good fit for me, however, I'm still unsure which of my current job opportunities will give me the best opportunity to get an acceptance letter my first time around.

I have offers for a Med-Surg float position at Phoenix Children's Hospital, a medical assistant position at a local Indian Reservation clinic, and an ER Tech position at a soon to be level 1 trauma facility.

I think Phoenix Children's would be the one I would enjoy and learn the most from since all I've done is practice EM/Trauma. I think the MA position would look best on my application since its working with an undeserved population which is what they're big on. I think since I want to eventually practice EM as a PA that the level 1 would be an amazing learning experience.

Kind of torn between what is best for my career and what will get me into MEDEX.

Hmm...I'm going to apply this year to Medex also (doubt I will get in but who knows) but I'm pretty sure they require a Bachelor's degree unless I'm missing something. I read through the prerequisite site and one of the requirement was "Baccalaureate Degree (no major preference)." Anyway, I work in the float pool at a level 2 trauma hospital and its fantastic as I get experience in 2 ICU, on all the floors and rehab. That would be a plus for working in the float pool BUT depending on what kind of patients they see you might get stuck in 1:1 a lot (watching a patient to make sure they don't harm themselves/pull out medical lines). But do what you think would be most enjoyable/can work with best since your references will come from the people you work under.

Hmm...I'm going to apply this year to Medex also (doubt I will get in but who knows) but I'm pretty sure they require a Bachelor's degree unless I'm missing something. I read through the prerequisite site and one of the requirement was "Baccalaureate Degree (no major preference)." Anyway, I work in the float pool at a level 2 trauma hospital and its fantastic as I get experience in 2 ICU, on all the floors and rehab. That would be a plus for working in the float pool BUT depending on what kind of patients they see you might get stuck in 1:1 a lot (watching a patient to make sure they don't harm themselves/pull out medical lines). But do what you think would be most enjoyable/can work with best since your references will come from the people you work under.

why not take two out of the 3 job offers? I am apart of the float pool at the hospital where i work and I am only required to work 4 shifts per month. i obviously do way more than that but what I am saying is if that float med/surg position is similar than you should take that plus one of the other jobs that way you can diversify your experience even more

why not take two out of the 3 job offers? I am apart of the float pool at the hospital where i work and I am only required to work 4 shifts per month. i obviously do way more than that but what I am saying is if that float med/surg position is similar than you should take that plus one of the other jobs that way you can diversify your experience even more

Sjvc is also a good fit for you and closer to home...

Yeah, I already have an ED per diem position (at the same healthcare system as the level 1 trauma center) so taking two more jobs is kind of out of the question at this point. EMEDPA, I have looked into SJVC's program and talked to Leesh a bit, however, being that I want to potentially practice in the Navy after school, I think a Bachelor's is the minimum I need and want. I know they offer a Bachelors/Masters degree option, but if I'm going to pay roughly the same price, I would rater have the degree that's going to get me to my goals quicker. Any advice on which jobs will get me "better" hours and help me get accepted?

Yeah, I already have an ED per diem position (at the same healthcare system as the level 1 trauma center) so taking two more jobs is kind of out of the question at this point. EMEDPA, I have looked into SJVC's program and talked to Leesh a bit, however, being that I want to potentially practice in the Navy after school, I think a Bachelor's is the minimum I need and want. I know they offer a Bachelors/Masters degree option, but if I'm going to pay roughly the same price, I would rater have the degree that's going to get me to my goals quicker. Any advice on which jobs will get me "better" hours and help me get accepted?

I think having some peds under your belt will do you well. Former Navy Corpsman and paramedic myself, in the bachelor option with Medex...they do a lot of maternal/child classes which trends with their bias for training family practice PAs. You'll see a lot more sick kids at the Children's Hospital, helping you get comfortable with a population base that can inherently make providers feel uncomfortable.

However..in the big picture...you are a Navy Corpsman. Don't show up looking like a soup sandwich and you'll have a pretty darn good chance of cruising in.

Be aware...they have just announced the closure of their Yakima campus. The BS will be Tacoma or Anchorage at this point.

I think having some peds under your belt will do you well. Former Navy Corpsman and paramedic myself, in the bachelor option with Medex...they do a lot of maternal/child classes which trends with their bias for training family practice PAs. You'll see a lot more sick kids at the Children's Hospital, helping you get comfortable with a population base that can inherently make providers feel uncomfortable.

However..in the big picture...you are a Navy Corpsman. Don't show up looking like a soup sandwich and you'll have a pretty darn good chance of cruising in.

Be aware...they have just announced the closure of their Yakima campus. The BS will be Tacoma or Anchorage at this point.

Archived