Okay maybe $100k in student loans is not that bad...Is this really the starting pay??

Complete nonsense. You would simply need a written plan of care (family care plan) for the child. This would be for the times that you are away for training and deployment. You have to designate who you will place your child with while you are gone and make sure you have all the appropriate paperwork for the person looking after your kid.

I have 20 years in the service, 6 of those on and off as a First Sgt. Believe me, I know about the family care plans and how they work. There is no "giving up custody".

A family care plan works for those of us that were already in the service and got a divorce. New accessions are a different case entirely, however; I am pretty sure they are not taking single parents at this time.

The best info, however, is not from two old retirees on a forum. Talk to your local military recruiter that specializes in medical recruitment for the best most up to date advice.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No reason it wouldn't be. The way it's written it doesn't even add to the budget, so wouldn't likely be cut. Since your loans are through the federally gov't, they just erase the debt instead of "paying" it. Even it were to be cut, it's unlikely they would honor those in it already.

There might be reasons that we're unaware of. Personally, I wouldn't rely on something unless I had it in writing.

That's just me though....

There might be reasons that we're unaware of. Personally, I wouldn't rely on something unless I had it in writing.

That's just me though....

Well, for some people it's this or pay the full amount with ridiculous monthly payments that are unsustainable. There is no evidence or precedence for me to consider otherwise, so I'll roll the dice to only pay 48k (with my meager Navy salary) on a 120k grad loan, not to mention my other educational debt.

Well, for some people it's this or pay the full amount with ridiculous monthly payments that are unsustainable. There is no evidence or precedence for me to consider otherwise, so I'll roll the dice to only pay 48k (with my meager Navy salary) on a 120k grad loan, not to mention my other educational debt.

I'm sorry. I was under the impression that you were a Navy HPSP scholarship recipient. So I thought you had everything paid for.

A family care plan works for those of us that were already in the service and got a divorce. New accessions are a different case entirely, however; I am pretty sure they are not taking single parents at this time.

The best info, however, is not from two old retirees on a forum. Talk to your local military recruiter that specializes in medical recruitment for the best most up to date advice.

Not to derail, but you a bit off the mark. I never discussed the probability of accession, only the reality of folks who enter as a single parent....which happens in all services. Different services have different accession needs...your service may not be hiring, but others may be. You are correct, the OP should speak to a recruiter for all desired services.

The family care plan is NOT only for folks who are divorced. Many folks came in as a single parents. Whether it is possible in the current climate is a different matter, which I didn't get into in my first post.

Also remember that officer accessions are much different from enlisted accessions. I currently work with a PT (Capt) who came in as a single mom a year ago. She had ZERO problems getting in. Just needed a family care plan. It was need of the service and she lucked out. This was during a time when enlisted accessions where very restricted....never would have happened.

I'm not trying to paint the rainbows and unicorns picture for the OP, but it isn't all doom and gloom either.

To the OP, if you really want to get out of dept and serve (you need to be willing to serve) any branch of the military is a great way to go. Talk to a RECRUITER.

BTW, I am active duty.

FIRST thing you can do to prevent these issues in the future is tell your PA schools to STOP EXPANDING ENROLLMENT and petition AAPA PAEA to do what they can to prevent new programs from popping up. Someone SHOULD NOT MAKE under 80K a year for practicing medicine and billing for the most part at identical rates to physicians unless the profession is being guided without guidance. I am willing to bet 5K with anyone on this board that the PA market in ten years does not have much salary increase from today and that RNs are making just under PAs. We are about to SATURATE the market with PAs and look at evidence from Mass ... this healthcare reform is not about to flood the doctors office.

FIRST thing you can do to prevent these issues in the future is tell your PA schools to STOP EXPANDING ENROLLMENT and petition AAPA PAEA to do what they can to prevent new programs from popping up. Someone SHOULD NOT MAKE under 80K a year for practicing medicine and billing for the most part at identical rates to physicians unless the profession is being guided without guidance. I am willing to bet 5K with anyone on this board that the PA market in ten years does not have much salary increase from today and that RNs are making just under PAs. We are about to SATURATE the market with PAs and look at evidence from Mass ... this healthcare reform is not about to flood the doctors office.

I would be happy to be graduating with ONLY 100K of student loans. Ecstatic even.

Anyway, I have thoroughly researched every repayment method possible from NHSC to every branch of the military to working overseas, in prisons, on Native American reserves - you name it, I've researched it, talked to a recruiter about it and considered it.

Bottom line is this. If you get on early with NHSC and get accepted (tough to do but possible), that is your best bet. Otherwise the best route to go is find the highest paying job possible and hustle as hard as your decrease in QOL can handle, pay off a huge chunk, and then go into a less stressful setting. Or just pay for 10 years and go for hopeful public servant forgiveness program.

Again, if 100K is ALL you owe, please do not complain, because it makes those of us who owe more upset :/. And this is coming from someone who worked full time through undergrad (and did 2 years of CC) and always lived below their means.

For those who don't see how you can owe this much...

avg PA program = 60K, plus living for 2 yrs = another 60K = 120K right there.

avg undergrad program = at least 40K, plus need at least an extra 5-10K a year to stay above water in this day and age = 40 + 20-40K = 60-80K

that's 180-200K easy.

I would be happy to be graduating with ONLY 100K of student loans. Ecstatic even.

Anyway, I have thoroughly researched every repayment method possible from NHSC to every branch of the military to working overseas, in prisons, on Native American reserves - you name it, I've researched it, talked to a recruiter about it and considered it.

Bottom line is this. If you get on early with NHSC and get accepted (tough to do but possible), that is your best bet. Otherwise the best route to go is find the highest paying job possible and hustle as hard as your decrease in QOL can handle, pay off a huge chunk, and then go into a less stressful setting. Or just pay for 10 years and go for hopeful public servant forgiveness program.

Again, if 100K is ALL you owe, please do not complain, because it makes those of us who owe more upset :/. And this is coming from someone who worked full time through undergrad (and did 2 years of CC) and always lived below their means.

avg undergrad program = at least 40K, plus need at least an extra 5-10K a year to stay above water in this day and age = 40 + 20-40K = 60-80K

that's 180-200K easy.

that's 180-200K easy.

that's 180-200K easy.

Not to derail, but you a bit off the mark. I never discussed the probability of accession, only the reality of folks who enter as a single parent....which happens in all services. Different services have different accession needs...your service may not be hiring, but others may be. You are correct, the OP should speak to a recruiter for all desired services.

The family care plan is NOT only for folks who are divorced. Many folks came in as a single parents. Whether it is possible in the current climate is a different matter, which I didn't get into in my first post.

Also remember that officer accessions are much different from enlisted accessions. I currently work with a PT (Capt) who came in as a single mom a year ago. She had ZERO problems getting in. Just needed a family care plan. It was need of the service and she lucked out. This was during a time when enlisted accessions where very restricted....never would have happened.

I'm not trying to paint the rainbows and unicorns picture for the OP, but it isn't all doom and gloom either.

To the OP, if you really want to get out of dept and serve (you need to be willing to serve) any branch of the military is a great way to go. Talk to a RECRUITER.

BTW, I am active duty.

Thanks for your active service then.

We can nitpick at each other all day long. It's irrelevant to her situation. You have been in long enough to know needs of the service apply. The rules can always be waived if the service wants it waived, and the rules change day to day. The truth is, the recruiting officer will help her more than this retired MSgt or you ever will, because they know the rules TODAY.

BTW, I am active duty.

We can nitpick at each other all day long. It's irrelevant to her situation. You have been in long enough to know needs of the service apply. The rules can always be waived if the service wants it waived, and the rules change day to day. The truth is, the recruiting officer will help her more than this retired MSgt or you ever will, because they know the rules TODAY.

BTW, I am active duty.

BTW, I am active duty.

Something California new grad PAs may want to keep an eye out for is OSHPD increasing loan repayment awards or service based scholarships in the future. The California Endowment has a significant amount of funding to be awarded to increase HC workforce in areas of need. In the past that has meant monies awarded to increase service based scholarships and loan repayment. If I see anything I'll post.

Something California new grad PAs may want to keep an eye out for is OSHPD increasing loan repayment awards or service based scholarships in the future. The California Endowment has a significant amount of funding to be awarded to increase HC workforce in areas of need. In the past that has meant monies awarded to increase service based scholarships and loan repayment. If I see anything I'll post.

I think you're underestimating how difficult it is to get a job as a new grad nurse. It's pretty widespread (I'm from NY and currently live in CA.....every new grad nurse that I know in each state has struggled to get a job...sometimes being unemployed for almost a year, then having to take a crappy one).

Maverick87, Where in CA are you practicing? I am also a NY transplant out here in the San Joaquin Valley. Big difference from NY!

I think you're underestimating how difficult it is to get a job as a new grad nurse. It's pretty widespread (I'm from NY and currently live in CA.....every new grad nurse that I know in each state has struggled to get a job...sometimes being unemployed for almost a year, then having to take a crappy one).

Maverick87, Where in CA are you practicing? I am also a NY transplant out here in the San Joaquin Valley. Big difference from NY!

LOL!!! Hi jts. I bet huh? When I read your post I thought about (and Im going to date myself so the reference may not mean anything to anyone) a 70s TV show called "Green Arces"....

Archived