If anyone wants a good laugh...

Guest Paula
http://www.healthbeatblog.com/2013/04/a-doctor-confides-my-primary-doc-is-a-nurse/ ... Just thought I'd share this Journalistic gem with you all. Really brilliant stuff. Articles like this are what keep the profession from moving in the right direction.

It was a horrible rambling article with a first sentence that defied the title. Then it weaves in bullying and psychological stuff, then attempts to include PAs but the author cannot figure out how to spell the title. Who edits these things?? It must be self a published blog, certainly not a journalist.

Guest Paula
http://www.healthbeatblog.com/2013/04/a-doctor-confides-my-primary-doc-is-a-nurse/ ... Just thought I'd share this Journalistic gem with you all. Really brilliant stuff. Articles like this are what keep the profession from moving in the right direction.

It was a horrible rambling article with a first sentence that defied the title. Then it weaves in bullying and psychological stuff, then attempts to include PAs but the author cannot figure out how to spell the title. Who edits these things?? It must be self a published blog, certainly not a journalist.

Guest Paula

oops, she is Yale educated and a former English professor who has published a book. Makes me wonder what our educational systems are producing? I'm just getting to be an old fogey.

Guest Paula

oops, she is Yale educated and a former English professor who has published a book. Makes me wonder what our educational systems are producing? I'm just getting to be an old fogey.

Can someone please set the author straight on how long it takes to become an MD versus an NP?!? "The length of training is not so different. Becoming a primary care doctor requires four years of medical school plus three years of residency. A nurse practitioner attends nursing school for four years, then spends two to three years in graduate school, depending on whether he or she is getting an M.A. or a Ph.D. (In 2015, all nurse practitioners will be required to earn a Ph.D.)"

Did the author forget that the MD had to do 4 years of undergrad before going to med school? Also don't get me started on the NPs being required to get a Ph. D. I work with a couple of NPs that already have their Ph D. and insist on being called doctor! It makes me furious . . .

Can someone please set the author straight on how long it takes to become an MD versus an NP?!? "The length of training is not so different. Becoming a primary care doctor requires four years of medical school plus three years of residency. A nurse practitioner attends nursing school for four years, then spends two to three years in graduate school, depending on whether he or she is getting an M.A. or a Ph.D. (In 2015, all nurse practitioners will be required to earn a Ph.D.)"

Did the author forget that the MD had to do 4 years of undergrad before going to med school? Also don't get me started on the NPs being required to get a Ph. D. I work with a couple of NPs that already have their Ph D. and insist on being called doctor! It makes me furious . . .

11 yr min for md/do

6 yr min for np

big difference.

11 yr min for md/do

6 yr min for np

big difference.

I work with a couple of NPs that already have their Ph D. and insist on being called doctor! It makes me furious . . .

The other day I was having a discussion with a nurse coworker of mine who is getting her DNP.. Basically she told me that one day I'd be reporting to her as a PA and that DNP > PA. She went on to state that she cannot wait to be addressed as Doctor...

I tried my best to not add fuel to the fire but quickly retorted "Remember that you're a doctor in academia but not in a clinical setting. The last thing you should be doing is giving a false pretense to your patients. Even if I had a PhD I'd never call myself a doctor or asked to be addressed as so in any setting. Are you doing this for the title or the scope of practice? If its for the latter I suggest you rethink your motives and attend the 4 years of medical school and 3 years of residency that those in a clinical setting went through to earn that title."

Im still angry about it now especially after seeing what my family members who are physicians went through.

I work with a couple of NPs that already have their Ph D. and insist on being called doctor! It makes me furious . . .

The other day I was having a discussion with a nurse coworker of mine who is getting her DNP.. Basically she told me that one day I'd be reporting to her as a PA and that DNP > PA. She went on to state that she cannot wait to be addressed as Doctor...

I tried my best to not add fuel to the fire but quickly retorted "Remember that you're a doctor in academia but not in a clinical setting. The last thing you should be doing is giving a false pretense to your patients. Even if I had a PhD I'd never call myself a doctor or asked to be addressed as so in any setting. Are you doing this for the title or the scope of practice? If its for the latter I suggest you rethink your motives and attend the 4 years of medical school and 3 years of residency that those in a clinical setting went through to earn that title."

Im still angry about it now especially after seeing what my family members who are physicians went through.

EMEDPA,

The scary thing about it is how disillusioned these RNs are. Even now each of them say NP > PA. Half of them have laughed at me at one point when I tell them there is no difference in scope of practice within CA. They tell me I cannot write prescriptions and that physicians have to review 100% of my charts. I quickly inform them of AB3 which got rid of that and now PAs have the same 10% chart review as NPs and can write for Sched II narcotics. Then they rebut and tell me NPs can own their own practice... To which I reply and a PA can't "own" their own practice? Last I hear you just need to have a physician on board and sign charts to put it in laymen terms. One of the nurses makes it a point to shove it my face when a PA refers someone to our hospital and finds anything to complain about saying how they should have done it.

It's non-stop and they are relentless. I usually just joke back and tell them I'm going to come back here and make sure all my orders require rectal temps, PR meds, flexiseals and kexelate.

But the level of misconception here is unreal.

EMEDPA,

The scary thing about it is how disillusioned these RNs are. Even now each of them say NP > PA. Half of them have laughed at me at one point when I tell them there is no difference in scope of practice within CA. They tell me I cannot write prescriptions and that physicians have to review 100% of my charts. I quickly inform them of AB3 which got rid of that and now PAs have the same 10% chart review as NPs and can write for Sched II narcotics. Then they rebut and tell me NPs can own their own practice... To which I reply and a PA can't "own" their own practice? Last I hear you just need to have a physician on board and sign charts to put it in laymen terms. One of the nurses makes it a point to shove it my face when a PA refers someone to our hospital and finds anything to complain about saying how they should have done it.

It's non-stop and they are relentless. I usually just joke back and tell them I'm going to come back here and make sure all my orders require rectal temps, PR meds, flexiseals and kexelate.

But the level of misconception here is unreal.

Short response "Haters gonna hate." Timon, young Jedi, welcome to our world for the past quarter century. I have always wonder what they were teaching in the California NP programs about PAs. All the NP Program Directors I know and have worked with (except for one down in SoCal) know better

Short response "Haters gonna hate." Timon, young Jedi, welcome to our world for the past quarter century. I have always wonder what they were teaching in the California NP programs about PAs. All the NP Program Directors I know and have worked with (except for one down in SoCal) know better

Archived