I am supposed to start PA school in May and just received notification that the school has been placed on Probation. How serious is that? The email assured me that I would complete the training from an accredited program but I am wondering if the program will be respected. I don't want the spend all that time and money and then not be able to get the position I want because the program is not considered a good quality one. Thoughts?

Serious enough.

You deserve to know what deficits the program and ARC-PA has identified and what steps are in place to correct them.

I was once offered a faculty position at a school that was on probation. I turned it down for a program that was solid and had never faced accreditation issues in 35 yr. just didn't need to deal with the headaches.

Good luck to you.

We were just notified of our program's probation status, also over self-assessment issues. This may be a trend in ARC's current review process. Our school has had no probations since it began in 1995, so it came as a shock. If I were in your shoes, I'd ask current students what they think. In my case, I have faith in our leadership to aggressively address the issues. It was explained to us as an administrative issue, and not a reflection of the education, which in our case received 0 citations. ARC wants to see measurable goals for student progress that are supported by hard data, beyond just GPA and PANCE pass rate.

We were just notified of our program's probation status, also over self-assessment issues. This may be a trend in ARC's current review process. Our school has had no probations since it began in 1995, so it came as a shock. If I were in your shoes, I'd ask current students what they think. In my case, I have faith in our leadership to aggressively address the issues. It was explained to us as an administrative issue, and not a reflection of the education, which in our case received 0 citations. ARC wants to see measurable goals for student progress that are supported by hard data, beyond just GPA and PANCE pass rate.

Here's what ARC says on its web site about probation -- sounds like as an incoming student you would be OK.

"Probation is an active accreditation status and those entering a program that is on probation are entering a program that is accredited. If the program remains on probation or is removed from probation and granted full accreditation by the time of your graduation, you would be graduating from an accredited program. In the past, the NCCPA allowed graduates to sit for the PANCE exam as long as the program from which they graduated was accredited at any point during the students' enrollment. This policy changed in 2003 and in order to be eligible to take the PANCE, students must successfully complete a program that was accredited at the time the student matriculated. It is best to check with the NCCPA concerning exam eligibility criteria."

Here's what ARC says on its web site about probation -- sounds like as an incoming student you would be OK.

"Probation is an active accreditation status and those entering a program that is on probation are entering a program that is accredited. If the program remains on probation or is removed from probation and granted full accreditation by the time of your graduation, you would be graduating from an accredited program. In the past, the NCCPA allowed graduates to sit for the PANCE exam as long as the program from which they graduated was accredited at any point during the students' enrollment. This policy changed in 2003 and in order to be eligible to take the PANCE, students must successfully complete a program that was accredited at the time the student matriculated. It is best to check with the NCCPA concerning exam eligibility criteria."

Archived