Chances of getting into Medex

There is really only one PA program I want apply to, Medex. Over the last few months I have been trying to beef up my application so I can apply next year. Can you please give me some advice on what I can approve. Also, what are my chances of getting into the MEDEX program. My husband is military, but I'm born and raised in Alaska. Currently we are stationed in Fairbanks. Own a cabin in Soldotna and plan to retire here. I am 25, no kids, love live and have a very friendly personality.

I do not have a degree, my GPA however is a 3.8. I do have a few more classes to take and I'm hoping it stays that high. I have obtained this GPA while working full time and going to school part time. I'm hoping this will help me in the areas I'm lacking. If I don't get into the program the first year I plan to finish my BA in biological science and try again.

I have thousands of volunteer hours, about 4,000 counted. Everything from food banks, orphanages in Cambodia, working with under privilege kids, volunteer children's pastor, senior citizen homes, mentor to youth, tutor, no one dies alone program, trash clean up, and an EMT. Currently, I am a Big Sister, EMT volunteer, helping at the food bank and on a military volunteer committee. I am also trying to start a Pre-PA group at UAF and for local Fairbanks people interested in becoming a PA. If anyone wants to join look me up on Facebook. I think it would be fun to do mock surveys, plug people in with PAs willing to have shadows, etc.

HCE: I currently work as an ENDO-Tech and scrub tech. I assist about 15-20 different doctors throughout the week with all types of procedures. My job also lets me work in the wound care department and infusion once in a while. My boss has been doing everything possible to cross train me in 5 different areas so my HCE doesn't look too specific. I use to me a CNA at a long term facility (over 2,000 hours). I was a PT-aid for 1 year. I teach BLS to health care providers at the hospital and teach first aid skills to Girl Scouts a few times a year.

I was told to become a ER tech, but I feel like I learn a lot from working directly with doctors and patients. If I was to work as an ER tech I would be stuck taking BP and doing paper work. Advice on that?

PA Shadowing: I am still trying to get shadowing done. Right now I have 50 in primary care and 20 in ER. The Medex program does not require this, but I'm learning alot and having a blast! I plan to have at least 100 shadowing in the ER, 150 primary care, 30 with ortho PA, 20 OBGYN. Maybe I'm over doing it?My original goal was 500 hours, but with all my volunteer work, school part time and work full time I'm starting to get over whelmed.

Reference: I have a well respective native hospital doctor who will be writing one for me. A very well known PA in Alaska who has been here for 30 years practicing, and trying to find an RN.

Right now I only have my EMT 1. Before I apply I plan to have my EMT 2 and 3.

I know a lot of people that apply have years of experience on them! I work with a doctor once in a while that has Medex PA students shadowing him for their clinicals. Everyone I have met so far has been Alaskan Native. I'm worried that I don't have enough HCE (8,000). Also worried that they might not like the fact that my husband is military and it might look like we don't plan to stay in Alaska. When in fact I couldn't imagine living and working some where else. I grew up very poor in Anchor Point and had some many people help my family and I love giving back.

I find my self staying up late at night planning out my classes and the best route to make my self a better PA when I finally get in. Do you think it's a bad idea to only apply to one program? My husband has to stay in Fairbanks no mater what till 2018 and if I go to anchorage or WA we can see each other through out the year. I'm hoping that I can ask to do some clinicals in Fairbanks. I have a few Doctors that said they would allow me to shadow them if I get in. Plus, I see Medex Students all the time up here. Thanks for reading. I know it was long.

Short answer, I think you have a solid shot.

Long answer: Make sure your personal statement is on lock, your Medex supplemental is spotless (include answers to their prompt questions in your statements), and decide what campus you want to go to. You seem to have some well rounded volunteer experience, and you surpass the required HCE (although lower than the average Medex student( >6yrs), you shouldn't worry about it). I think you should start practicing on how to interview. I was prior military and civilian MA, outside of WWAMI region, w/ close to 13k HCE with good volunteer experience, PS and LORs. No shadowing hours (worked with a PA), and showed through my app that I wasn't just numbers/words on paper, I was a human being. You are a piece to the unique puzzle that Medex is looking for. Let that show through. Best of luck!

Also, there is a whole section under the PA school tab "Univ. of Washington" that has Medex stuff on it.

I think your stats are looking good. While MEDEX does smile upon the paramedic/corpsman/army medic folks, they also like a diverse classroom. Biggest thing is that you need to get all your pre reqs done before applying, with the GPA that they require. They don't really wiggle on that much.

Good luck

Archived