Number of applicants

Every school varies and applicants apply to numerous schools and there are over 170 programs nationally. Not all programs use CASPA.

I know off the top of my head 3 programs.

Western University has about 2,000 applicants for 98 spots

Touro Nevada has like 1500 applicants for 58 spots

Riverside Community College has about 600 applicants for about 36 spots.

Some programs are increasing the number of students accepted due to increased funding by the government.

But as far as total applicants nation wide Im not sure. You'd want to see if CASPA and PAEA can provide those numbers for you.

Thanks for the info guys! I hate to say it but im trying to find some less competative schools, I'm coming up on round two for app... and I'm happy to go anywhere - low gpa 3.2 overall, 3.1 sci, 700 CNA hours, little volunteer time etc. Not a very competitive application but I'm shooting for the shot gun effect and try 20 or so schools...

What your best bet to do is find schools who accept applicants with similar stats as what you have now. I'd also do some quick volunteer work these next few months at a shelter, school, hospital, or even some fund raiser walk a thon type event because you need to have something there. It's like applying without HCE or without taking a prerequisite.

Thanks for the info guys! I hate to say it but im trying to find some less competative schools, I'm coming up on round two for app... and I'm happy to go anywhere - low gpa 3.2 overall, 3.1 sci, 700 CNA hours, little volunteer time etc. Not a very competitive application but I'm shooting for the shot gun effect and try 20 or so schools...

Low GPA, low HCE; what have you done since last round to make yourself more competitive?

I'm sorry...tell me again how you will help thrust the PA profession ahead in the eyes of those who look down on PAs, proving them wrong about their preconceived notions of PAs?

Your best bet is to return to the grind, work in medicine for awhile and take some classes to pick up your GPA. Come back in three or four years and for God's sake don't make the public announcement that you know you are a poor candidate and are looking for a bottom of the barrel entry to this profession.

Alright guys. No need to kick someone while their down. This person applied and didn't get in this year. However their stats aren't terrible and we know that they aren't the bottom of the barrel. I took the high road on that specific comment but in reality we don't know this persons situation, only their stats. I'm not here to cast judgement, only to help when needed.

This person has better cGPA and more HCE hours then a few people i know that have been accepted. Yes it's not flawless but that's when we come in and try to lift them up, not **** down their throats.

Yes their comment was emo (//_-) that still doesn't mean their comment was accurate. It's easy for someone to come into this site and get discouraged by looking at the people who want advice with high GPAs. What we sometimes forget is its about the whole picture and every once in a while we find ourselves in a rut and need a little guidance. That's what I read when I saw their post..

This poster had the option to say "hey y'all, I didn't get in last year but I have been back in the classroom and working hard as a CNA but my marks are not yet super competitive. Do you guys know a school that favors the hardworking student who is still recovering from previous mistakes?"

Instead they chose to describe an approach of least resistance. Instead of going back to school or accumulating more hours in HCE to become a better candidate, they opt for a self described shotgun approach.

If they don't value where they get their education and are willing to attend a program who will take a student who was passed over by other schools and continues to maintain poor stats...what does that say about their attitude towards the profession?

I realize that this is the world where we are all supposed to be tolerant, supportive, nurturing, never saying a cross word and pass out trophies for just showing up. However, I know a lot of people who worked very hard and sacrificed a lot of things to become PA students and PAs. I don't think it shows an adequate amount of respect to those people by enabling applicants who are self admittedly dodging a competitive process.

Archived