How much is enough shadowing?

I have been working to increase my shadowing hours since my first application. When I first applied I had only shadowed for a total of 10 hours in a family practice. However, now I have obtained 40 hours of shadowing in the following specialties: Family practice, Emergency Medicine, Dermatology, Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery, Orthopedics, and Gastroenterology.

Is this enough or should I strive to increase this before submitting my second application?

I also think 40 hours is plenty. I was accepted with zero documented shadowing hours, although my job involves working with PAs, NPs, and MDs. Shadowing is only one aspect of your application, and not as important as pre-req GPA and patient care experience IMO.

I believe the act of shadowing is to allow you a glimpse into the world of PA and understand what it is about. Your variety is a great thing. If you can verbalize what a PA is, does, and why it is a career for you, i think you have completed the theory behind shadowing. Keep working on HCE, that will carry you farther in both your application process and future ability.

Archived