No More CNA, What are my chances?

Hello guys,

I would really love for your opinions on this. My simple stat break down is:

Degree: BA in Human Biology

cGPA: 3.420

sGPA: 3.176 (terrible?)

PCE: 2.5 years CNA (close to 2500 hours)

Shadow hours: 32 (two PA's in two specialties)

GRE: will take this summer (May or June)

I am planning to apply this year and getting everything ready: My LORs, more hours of volunteering/shadowing, GRE, Essay, etc. I have been working as a CNA since the beginning of my junior year in college when I first learned that PA programs look upon patient care experiences favorably, and most programs require some hours. I'm developing some back pain and it's been bothering me for the past few months now. I didn't really notice it at first, but I don't think I should be doing CNA anymore as it would most likely hurt my back more, although the thought of becoming an ER Tech is an exciting opportunity that I can probably get easily as I am already working in a hospital. My back just will not handle it well I realize, to which makes me quite sad.

I am currently taking two additional classes though and will be taking Microbiology this summer. I thought about going PRN/working 6 hours a week by the end of this month to heal my back (will see a doctor as well), but that leaves me with what to do to gain more PCE hours.

Do you guys have any recommendations/advice? Is my stat looking okay?

Thank you in advance.

Are you wearing decent shoes for standing all day?

I believe so. Nothing too expensive. They never hurt my feet and very comfortable to walk in. I started CNA in an assisted living, and my guess it's from that. If I work on a stroke unit, or step-down CCU, then there's a lot of turning patients, etc. Now, even if I don't have to do lifting or turning patients occasionally (I work on the women's floor), I still notice a mild sensation on my back.

Are you wearing decent shoes for standing all day?
Speaking of good ergonomics, I have been told to wear Danskos or Sanitas (which I believe we all should do considering how many hours and pressure we put on our feet and back), so posture is important. Make sure your feet are aligned with the hips, but tucked under knees not locked and loose. Find if you can a brief moment to sit in the proper position to take the weight off your spine. Try to do crunches and stretching exercises; one can not have a strong back without strong abs that include the obliques and all the way to lower front pelvis and back pelvis. If left untreated, you will go without pay from injury in a few years. So, find the best pair of shoes for you that feel like pillows after 12 hours so your feet NEVER ever hurt and you don't stand wrong to compensate so get rid of the cheap pair of shoes as wutthechris mentioned, IMO.

Two words: Physical therapy.

Not as a job, but as a treatment for you. You are 23. Unless you have some sort of pathological disease in your body that is causing muscle breakdown, there is little reason why your young body can't be rehabbed back into great shape. Anecdotal evidence: I fell 50 feet from a cliff, to the ground, compressing T9, T10, L1, and L2 in 1998. I started work as a paramedic in the back of ambulances where being stooped over is a way of life in 1999. Awkward lifting? It's hard to describe the number of weird angles and awkward poses you achieve while carrying 300 pound people who are covered in their own vomit and feces down stairs in a house built in the early 1930's.

Did I have days with a sore back? Heck yea...but even after gaining an undisclosed amount of weight due to poor eating habits (trust me, sadly, it's a lot of weight), my back still does pretty darn well.

I am a firm believer in physical therapy. You just have got to be willing to do the work on your end as well. Lifting techniques, body mechanics, footwear, NSAIDs, ice, heat, massage, building core strength. You have too many years ahead of you to live to allow your back to get the better of you. Get that thing whipped into shape. When you're in your 50's you'll be thankful that you got yourself squared away early in life.

Archived