Hey guy, I'm just curious if anyone has ever worked or currently works as a PA in Virginia. I'm from CT, and I just can't stand the state anymore, and I'm thinking about moving closer to my family in VA after I graduate and pass my boards. Does anyone know if Virginia is PA friendly, or how it compares to other PA friendly states in terms of salary and scope of practice? Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Well I don't know to much about it. I believe the median salary for PA's in Va is in the low 80's. Cost of living here is pretty cheap so that salary goes along way. Also, VA is pretty rural so of course they need PA's for those more rural clinics.

I've worked in Emergency Medicine in Virginia Beach and Norfolk for the past 14 years. PA salaries are lower than the national average and I think the Military prescence has a lot to do with that. They keep the cost of living lower than other coastal communities. The laws are pretty liberal.

I spent the past 4 years practicing in VA - CVICU and ER. As far as PA rules/regs it's a good state-you can do just about anything. Salaries I guess are statistically lower but I moved here from Washington State to double my salary. It also depends where you are looking...I am in Northern VA where salaries are higher, but so is the COL. Where is your family/where are you looking? There are lots of jobs here as well if you are able to go anywhere. That being said I just moved to Idaho where salaries and opportunities are even better =)

Samll world FBIDoc, as I too relocated from WA state to VA for higher pay. Im currently in the ED in Northern VA. There are plenty of jobs in VA and my scope of practice is pretty remarkable. However, I am in a pretty small town and three isnt too much to do, but; I can drive N and hit DC in about an hour or S and be in Richmond (tons of jobs there btw)

I was recently having a conversation about practicing in VA and I understand that PAs are mainly being hired for specialties and NPs are being hired for Primary Care. Don't know if that weighs into your decision about moving to VA. From an outsider researching and confirmed by those practicing and responding to this thread; the scope seems pretty open-door.

Thanks for all the helpful info guys... I plan on specializing for sure... Ideally I'd like to work on a surgical trauma team, work in the ED, or CT surgery. I would love to work in Northern Virginia, ideally near a larger, level-1 trauma center. It's really nice to hear that practice laws are permissive, that was one of my biggest concerns. Connecticut is just a suffocating state for so many reasons, and I really want out. My brother lives in Maryland just over the border, So I would like to live somewhere close to him. Does anyone know general salary figures for specialties in Virginia? Just curious. Thanks again for all the advice... it's really making me want to move.

Archived