PA clinical exp help

I was looking into an EMT-B at UT Southwestern Medical Center - it was 2 months, but the programs are already full for summer and Fall as well.

I was looking into being a scribe, but many programs specifically state that it doesn't count, and plus the exp wouldn't be as strong

Most of the medical assistant programs, phlebotomy, xray tech or EMT programs at local CC schools are almost a year in length or longer!

What's a good field to jump into that's easy to get into, and isn't as long to complete. I looked into a 2 month CNA program, but I don't think I can picture myself cleaning up vomit, and feces everyday and cleaning people, I was looking forward to hospital or ER work, but obviously most require certs and those take forever....

Any advice is appreciated. I plan on if I don't get in this year, applying April 2014, so I have one year off from now and until next cycle, yet can't figure out what I can do during my time off and find it discouraging some cert programs take up to a year in length and will leave with me less time to make up for direct HCE.

If I remember correctly you're fairly young and probably have people who can support you so just an idea here.... BTW I like the idea if taking a year off to get some experience. So heres the idea... Spend a summer in CA (2 months). Month 1 you go to CIEMT M-F either 8-3 or 4-10 x 4 weeks and get your EMT ($800), then at the same time go to Regan Career Institute Sat/Sun x 3 weekends 8am-5pm ($1100) and get your 12 lead EKG Tech license. Then Month 2 stay at RCI and do your phlebotomy fri, sat, sun x 2 weeks then 40 hours of clinicals. Take a CPR, ACLS, PALS, NRP all 1 day long courses in the process and now your maxed out on certifications with 2 months. Since they're all national certifications in the end you can take it back home with you.

Why not apply at UT-Southwestern EMT program and get on waiting list? I was told that there is a fair amount of turnover and they were open just a couple of weeks ago. I just submitted mine today (given wrong math exam a couple of weeks back which delayed application when slots were available) with the understanding of being on the waiting list. I presume local municipalities flooded the available slots but what does it hurt to apply? If it doesn't come to fruition next month to where I'm teaching this fall then I go back into patient care or consider a separate local teaching position in health care.

BTW, this is the same route that I took to originally get into PA school, EMT->PA back in the late 70's/early 80's. I went through the UTSW EMT program when it really wasn't available, or advertised as being available, to non-municipal employees. I moved my community college classes to evening while I went through their program. I'm hoping to re-take versus test out beforehand if given the opportunity to teach EMS locally. This idea is about the last thing that still gets my medical juices flowing (teaching).

I was looking into an EMT-B at UT Southwestern Medical Center - it was 2 months, but the programs are already full for summer and Fall as well.

I was looking into being a scribe, but many programs specifically state that it doesn't count, and plus the exp wouldn't be as strong

Most of the medical assistant programs, phlebotomy, xray tech or EMT programs at local CC schools are almost a year in length or longer!

What's a good field to jump into that's easy to get into, and isn't as long to complete. I looked into a 2 month CNA program, I don't think I can picture myself cleaning up vomit, and feces everyday and cleaning people, I was looking forward to hospital or ER work, but obviously most require certs and those take forever....

Any advice is appreciated. I plan on if I don't get in this year, applying April 2014, so I have one year off from now and until next cycle, yet can't figure out what I can do during my time off and find it discouraging some cert programs take up to a year in length and will leave with me less time to make up for direct HCE.

Before becoming a cna I would always say that I couldn't picture myself doing it either. But once u do it two or three times it's like nothing. Your doing it because the patient cannot do it for themselves. You never know, once day you may be in a position where someone is going to need to wipe your butt! Lol just saying give it a second thought. I work in a hospital and am a floater which I love. Everyday I'm on a different floor and some days I don't have to wipe any butts! Lol

Also, I was looking into "brightside institute" in Dallas/Ft. Worth are and they give out CNA's in 2 accelerated weeks tops for about $700 rather than some CC school programs lasting months, does that sound legit?

it does. i paid $500 and received my training in a period of four days. just make sure that fee includes the actual test fee.

i applied to several nursing homes and never received a call back. i got lucky and received a call from a big busy hospital. the only experience i had was doing in home care for a lady for a few days. just have to apply like crazy

Hmm, I checked the website and the state exam fee is not included in the program. My program cost sounds relatively expensive compared to many others. I haven't enrolled or paid at this point in time, but considering it for my year off and saving money to maybe travel abroad for medical placements through IVHQ.

Torshi, I am not sure what state you are from or what the regulations are around taking the state test for CNA, but where I'm from you can contest it and take the test to be certified without having to take a course (the book portion is very straightforward and easy) and you can find a check list, step by step info,and video instruction about the skills you will need to pass the exam. I am doing it this summer, saves time and money! Just a thought and you can begin working right away.

Torshi, I am not sure what state you are from or what the regulations are around taking the state test for CNA, but where I'm from you can contest it and take the test to be certified without having to take a course (the book portion is very straightforward and easy) and you can find a check list, step by step info,and video instruction about the skills you will need to pass the exam. I am doing it this summer, saves time and money! Just a thought and you can begin working right away.

Hmm very interesting! Always thought the courses may be required in order to gain the hands-on approach in order to obtain a certification. I'm from Texas, I'll look into it, if you know anything about it in regards to Texas please let me know. Thanks

Archived