Hospital Volunteering

Hey all

So of course this has been asked many times, I have searched and didn’t really find the information I was looking for.

I just went to get some information about volunteering at a hospital near me. It’s a big hospital system so they are very picky about who volunteers and who does. I have to have an interview and 2 letters of recommendation before the whole process starts moving. So while I am waiting for that to get done, I was looking at some of the areas of service that allow volunteers.

Their main list is this but I’ve bulleted the ones that might have the most direct care.

Cancer care resource library

Coffee cart

• Emergency department (full but possible if someone leaves)

Gift shop

Infection control (checking food temps/hand washing/spy on dr.s =/ )

Information desk

Labor and delivery information desk

Library cart

• Nursing units

• Outpatient surgery (RIO/SSS)

• Recovery Room (PACU)

I’m thinking surgery or recovery room but I believe it’s more answering phones etc. than actual direct care. The volunteer manager said that if there is any other place I’d like to go that I should discuss it during my interview.

This specific hospital is just a small hospital they don’t have a trauma center, pediatrics or nicu.

What would be the best way/department to get HCE in a hospital setting that has the most patient contact? Any information is greatly appreciated!!!

In most volunteer positions you aren't going to get the type of direct patient contact that would qualify as such on CASPA. You may get to bring patients things, help with meals, do some wheelchair transportation, make beds/linens, and those types of tasks. However, none of those really qualify for the type of patient care that programs which require direct patient care are looking for. You should look into getting a certification (CNA, EMT, etc) and using it to get patient contact. Many of these courses are offered at night and are short in duration. Of the options you listed, I think ED, outpatient surgery, or recovery room would probably be the best.

In most volunteer positions you aren't going to get the type of direct patient contact that would qualify as such on CASPA. You may get to bring patients things, help with meals, do some wheelchair transportation, make beds/linens, and those types of tasks. However, none of those really qualify for the type of patient care that programs which require direct patient care are looking for. You should look into getting a certification (CNA, EMT, etc) and using it to get patient contact. Many of these courses are offered at night and are short in duration. Of the options you listed, I think ED, outpatient surgery, or recovery room would probably be the best.

I agree with this. When I was in undergrad, I volunteered in the emergency department at the hospital affiliated with my university. It was considered one of the more hands-on opportunities, but in reality patient interaction was pretty limited. It certainly wasn't direct patient care. For me, the experience was more valuable in terms of exposure to that type of environment. I don't want to discourage you from volunteering, but I would definitely seek out another opportunity that involves more direct patient care.

I don't think your time as a hospital volunteer will count that much for CASPA, but it may get you close enough to see if you really want to get into medicine.

I started out as an ER volunteer and that is how I stumbled into medicine. From there, I went into volunteer and then part-time paid EMS, which is what I ultimately used for the patient contact experience in CASPA.

My story: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1479372099/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk

You won't see much of any "direct patient care" as a volunteer for numerous reasons. It is, however, a great way to network and figure out what kind of medicine you like.

That being said, if you have the option of sitting behind a desk and interacting with patients and caregivers, don't be a lazy bum and do the latter. I got my first paid job through volunteering because I made sure everyone knew my name and I busted my rear whenever I was there. Eventually, they figured out I was an EMT and started asking me if I wanted a job. Basically, take it as an opportunity to learn and get exposure to whatever you can, not just as something to put on a resume, which I saw way too often in medical school hopefuls.

Checko

Yeah I haven't been exposed to much of the medical environment other than behind the pharmacy and personal experience so the volunteering will help me with that . Which I enjoyed my job as a pharm tech ,but I know it isn't considered for most schools either since you rarely deal with people. I know that I need to get a part time job of some kind to build up HCE. I am looking into a home health aide program since I would need a job that is limited part time since I am in school full time. I just started school this semester and I still haven't gotten into the grove of things so I don't want to put added stress of a job until I get in the grove of things.

Archived