ER Job without experience?

Hi all,

I am a soon to be new grad who loves ER...its pretty much the only thing I REALLY want to do. I was an ED tech for 2 years before PA school and besides my ER rotation I am doing an additional elective rotation in ER. I feel as though every job I apply for wants experience and nobody wants to hire a new grad. Is this the norm? Should I be applying to other types of jobs besides ER? A residency is not really an option for me d/t my money situation.

Its possible. 5 of my classmates got ED jobs straight out of school. 2 had connections, 3 were able to obtain them with none. Make sure you have an aquequate training period and SP's who dont mind teaching and are available at any time for questions, especially if you are not strictly fast track. Ive been working over 6 months and still often have questions, and the ocassional patient who I need the SP to lay eyes on.

also the less desireable areas may have more jobs...a student of mine recently got a job in idaho starting at 110k...but it's in idaho....

anywhere remotely near a coast will be harder to get as a new grad.

agreed. I drive an hour out the city to the country to work. you cant have it all.

Archived