An Epidemic of Rage?

I actually think this type of behavior is over-represented in our patients and not really a reflection of society at large. In my (limited) experience, these folks are mostly frequent flyers with an undiagnosed psychiatric component to their chronic illnesses. When people spend any amount of time in the medical system, my theory is that they dehumanize individual medical providers and we all become an amalgamation of every provider they've encountered, with all the perceived slights, misdiagnoses, and other baggage that goes along with that. There are plenty of "normal" folks that don't go to the doctor's office complaining of every little ache, pain, sniffle, or other vanilla, self-limiting symptom. But of course, we never meet them.

I actually think this type of behavior is over-represented in our patients and not really a reflection of society at large. In my (limited) experience, these folks are mostly frequent flyers with an undiagnosed psychiatric component to their chronic illnesses. When people spend any amount of time in the medical system, my theory is that they dehumanize individual medical providers and we all become an amalgamation of every provider they've encountered, with all the perceived slights, misdiagnoses, and other baggage that goes along with that. There are plenty of "normal" folks that don't go to the doctor's office complaining of every little ache, pain, sniffle, or other vanilla, self-limiting symptom. But of course, we never meet them.

excellent angle

excellent angle

You nailed it and you will do well as a provider with such insight! I usually just walk away from these abusive patients as reasoning with them just feeds the rage. Yes, the "Suits" tolerate these people and give in to their behavior towards the clinical staff more often than not.

You nailed it and you will do well as a provider with such insight! I usually just walk away from these abusive patients as reasoning with them just feeds the rage. Yes, the "Suits" tolerate these people and give in to their behavior towards the clinical staff more often than not.

Very dependent on location and specialty. Our main ER has a clearly posted "Conduct policy", and we exercise it daily to throw out the worst offenders who can't seem to grasp not verbally or physically abusing staff members.

Very dependent on location and specialty. Our main ER has a clearly posted "Conduct policy", and we exercise it daily to throw out the worst offenders who can't seem to grasp not verbally or physically abusing staff members.

Try the world of customer service. I used to work at Disneyland in my hey day... I've been spit on, people have taken shots at me, ran over by the freaking ATVs they rent out, and I've been cussed at by old ladies just to name a few. I also worked customer service at Verizon wireless... Ya.. I would say the percentage is more like 20% not 5% and usually approach and tact later to build rapport wins at the end of the day. And it is all entitlement and everyone always wants something for nothing. It's only going to get worse... Look at what they teach in schools now-a-days... Everyone wins and no one loses... And instead of standing up to or address someone they've had a conflict with they go tell the person in charge. It's starts with school then follows them professionally and then when there's no one to run to they flip out, lawyer up, or such in your patients cases can't cope and lash out. I can only imagine with the older crowd the stress factor also contributing to entitlement behavior.

Try the world of customer service. I used to work at Disneyland in my hey day... I've been spit on, people have taken shots at me, ran over by the freaking ATVs they rent out, and I've been cussed at by old ladies just to name a few. I also worked customer service at Verizon wireless... Ya.. I would say the percentage is more like 20% not 5% and usually approach and tact later to build rapport wins at the end of the day. And it is all entitlement and everyone always wants something for nothing. It's only going to get worse... Look at what they teach in schools now-a-days... Everyone wins and no one loses... And instead of standing up to or address someone they've had a conflict with they go tell the person in charge. It's starts with school then follows them professionally and then when there's no one to run to they flip out, lawyer up, or such in your patients cases can't cope and lash out. I can only imagine with the older crowd the stress factor also contributing to entitlement behavior.

Guest Paula

I am relieved when a patient tells me they will never be back to the clinic. The patients who tell us that are unhappy they did not get what they want, OR they got everything they wanted, with the false belief that their unrelenting fibromyalgia was under treated by us, and the rheumatologist did not add anything new to the plan makes them realize they have no special disease that needs specialty care. They tell us "you do nothing for me and I'm going to tell on you", in spite of the fact their chart is littered with specialty consults from practically every specialty available.

So I am happy when they storm out. I am happy when they say they will never return. My happiness is smashed when the patient turns up two days later for a cold. Darn, what happened to their resolve?

Guest Paula

I am relieved when a patient tells me they will never be back to the clinic. The patients who tell us that are unhappy they did not get what they want, OR they got everything they wanted, with the false belief that their unrelenting fibromyalgia was under treated by us, and the rheumatologist did not add anything new to the plan makes them realize they have no special disease that needs specialty care. They tell us "you do nothing for me and I'm going to tell on you", in spite of the fact their chart is littered with specialty consults from practically every specialty available.

So I am happy when they storm out. I am happy when they say they will never return. My happiness is smashed when the patient turns up two days later for a cold. Darn, what happened to their resolve?

There is always some percentage of people who cannot be pleased. We had a (new) middle-aged patient when I was an MA that I called back by her last name. She complained that I didn't just use her first name. She told me how I seemed very impersonal and unfriendly by not using her first name. If I called most older adults back by their first name, they would complain that I was being disrespectful. Where do you draw that line!? Sometimes you just cannot win.

There is always some percentage of people who cannot be pleased. We had a (new) middle-aged patient when I was an MA that I called back by her last name. She complained that I didn't just use her first name. She told me how I seemed very impersonal and unfriendly by not using her first name. If I called most older adults back by their first name, they would complain that I was being disrespectful. Where do you draw that line!? Sometimes you just cannot win.

It wish that the action of your suits were universal. Having worked in many EDs I can say that the abusive behavior of patients and their families is rarely addressed by the management.

Oh I had forgotten about abusive, entitled patients...I have been practicing part-time the past year in rural NW PA--otherwise known as Nirvana--where humble country folk keep their appointments, love their children, pay their bills and thank their providers--I will truly miss my Amish patients when I go back home in a few months :(

You mentioned the Amish and someone else mentioned the international patient. I have to agree. Working overseas I've watched people walk for miles or tens of miles to get to their appointment and then sit in the dirt all day waiting their turn, while sipping tea and interacting with other patients. Then being very grateful for the care they get. But with one caveat, in Pakistan boarder area the treat was that if their loved one died and you had cared for them, the "man of the house" would come back and cut your throat at night.

In general, people are more likely to review businesses or restaurants if they had a negative experience vs a positive experience. If you're only getting one complaint per week, consider all the positive experiences your other patients may have had. Just because you are only receiving negative comments, that doesn't mean that your patients are also having positive experiences and just not saying anything.

In general, people are more likely to review businesses or restaurants if they had a negative experience vs a positive experience. If you're only getting one complaint per week, consider all the positive experiences your other patients may have had. Just because you are only receiving negative comments, that doesn't mean that your patients are also having positive experiences and just not saying anything.

I don't know if anyone saw it last night but "Rock Center" devoted their program to this issue. It was stirred up by story about Mike Rice (basketball coach). They focused on rage in the work place and not necessary in medical clinics.

... I have to agree. Working overseas I've watched people walk for miles or tens of miles to get to their appointment and then sit in the dirt all day waiting their turn, while sipping tea and interacting with other patients. Then being very grateful for the care they get. But with one caveat, in Pakistan boarder area the treat was that if their loved one died and you had cared for them, the "man of the house" would come back and cut your throat at night.
Yes... remember this hazard well...!! Also the reason why when I was there and practicing in that environment, I worked really hard to make a show of stabilizing the patient and ensure that the patient was/appeared to be alive at the airport when they were put on the plane to be transported to a higher level of care...

Archived