DUI before PA school and now facing licensing issues.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FACT is:

Everyone on here who imbibes "Adult Beverages" and owns a motor vehicle has "drank and driven."

May not have been and may never be caught.

May not have been "drunk" but had a drink which is all it takes to get caught up.

Alcohol use is part of the fabric of our society. Therefore ANYONE who drinks is 1 sip away from being charged with a DUI, Ask all those Lawyers, Police Officers and Judges who get DUIs how this goes.

Fact is:

In many states, a person can blow 0.00 and STILL get a DUI based solely upon a sworn officers observations and testimony that in their professional opinion, you were impaired. Why..?? Because someone can be "impaired" on many more things than Etoh and those don't show up on the roadside breathanalyzer.

Fact is:

You can get a DUI for driving fatigued... or for taking your benedryl allergy medication before driving. Its gonna cost the same as if you got it for Etoh and the charge will look the same to anyone who does a cursory background check.

So ASSuming that everyone who says that they got a DUI "has/had" a drinking problem is shortsighted.

Always kinda funny to see how fast people trot out on their lofty equine...:heheh:

FACT is:

Everyone on here who imbibes "Adult Beverages" and owns a motor vehicle has "drank and driven."

May not have been "drunk" but had a drink which is all it takes to get caught up.

Alcohol use is part of the fabric of our society. Therefore ANYONE who drinks is 1 sip away from being charged with a DUI, Ask all those Lawyers, Police Officers and Judges who get DUIs how this goes.

Fact is:

In many states, a person can blow 0.00 and STILL get a DUI based solely upon a sworn officers observations and testimony that in their professional opinion, you were impaired. Why..?? Because someone can be "impaired" on many more things than Etoh and those don't show up on the roadside breathanalyzer.

Fact is:

You can get a DUI for driving fatigued... or for taking your benedryl allergy medication before driving. Its gonna cost the same as if you got it for Etoh and the charge will look the same to anyone who does a cursory background check.

So ASSuming that everyone who says that they got a DUI "has/had" a drinking problem is shortsighted.

Always kinda funny to see how fast people trot out on their lofty equine...:heheh:

By definition, DUI IS problem drinking. Your denial of this is disconcerting.....

I had said the only time I did what could even be considered "partying" was the period between undergrad and PA school, and when I say "partying" I believed that was synonymous with "bar hopping," "binge drinking" or "drinking to get drunk." Yes, I partied. Yes, I did it more than once. No, I did not do it often.

But your opinion is exactly what I mean with regards to that one meeting with that one person who will ultimately decide my fate. Do I stay honest and tell it like it is (and apparently risk being labeled a closet alcoholic) or do I "admit" that I had a "problem," (i.e., that I had fewer then ten episodes of "problems" over a 4-month period -- the last of which resulted in a DUI)? Sarcasm aside, is that the route I should go?

I just feel like saying there was a "problem" will just give them grounds to throw me in treatment to cure an ailment I do not have. This was four years ago, man. This is the overwhelmingly frustrating part about this whole thing.

FACT is:

Fact is:

Fact is:

Always kinda funny to see how fast people trot out on their lofty equine...heheh.png

I agree with all of it, and I especially agree with your second-to-last sentence.

I wish I could go in the room, and just say this:

Wow, things have changed. FWIW, I had a DUI 6 years before PA school. Just out of the military...young...made a mistake...

Paid my fine, did the 3 day alcohol treatment course, and had to follow up with a counselor. Did my community service, served my probation, that was it.

Made a mistake. Paid for it. And I am apparently still paying for it. Man, those just deserts sure taste bad.

By definition, DUI IS problem drinking. Your denial of this is disconcerting.....

I had said the only time I did what could even be considered "partying" was the period between undergrad and PA school, and when I say "partying" I believed that was synonymous with "bar hopping," "binge drinking" or "drinking to get drunk." Yes, I partied. Yes, I did it more than once. No, I did not do it often.

But your opinion is exactly what I mean with regards to that one meeting with that one person who will ultimately decide my fate. Do I stay honest and tell it like it is (and apparently risk being labeled a closet alcoholic) or do I "admit" that I had a "problem," (i.e., that I had fewer then ten episodes of "problems" over a 4-month period -- the last of which resulted in a DUI)? Sarcasm aside, is that the route I should go?

I just feel like saying there was a "problem" will just give them grounds to throw me in treatment to cure an ailment I do not have. This was four years ago, man. This is the overwhelmingly frustrating part about this whole thing.

FACT is:

Fact is:

Fact is:

Always kinda funny to see how fast people trot out on their lofty equine...heheh.png

I agree with all of it, and I especially agree with your second-to-last sentence.

I wish I could go in the room, and just say this:

Wow, things have changed. FWIW, I had a DUI 6 years before PA school. Just out of the military...young...made a mistake...

Paid my fine, did the 3 day alcohol treatment course, and had to follow up with a counselor. Did my community service, served my probation, that was it.

Made a mistake. Paid for it. And I am apparently still paying for it. Man, those just deserts sure taste bad.

There is not much that you can do about the impending meeting.

They will interview you, review the record, and make a decision, based on their impression.

That's a fact.

Be honest.. Be as straightforward there as you have been here.

Your presentation here was the perfect response to their opening question: so tell me what happened?

Despite the power they hold, and it is mighty, rarely do they wield it injudiciously. They work for two masters: the BME ( whose interest is to protect the citizens of the state), and, in fact, the practitioner (you)... Their goal is not to ruin your life but to make sure you are not ruining yours or threatening the citizens...

You will inevitably over-think this...

Take a deep breath.. Be honest, tell them exactly what happened, bring your documentation, and present yourself as you have here, and I doubt that you will have a problem.

My best guess is that you will walk out with an full license, unrestricted.

Believe me, you are not the only dude this has happened to...

What pi$$es the state off more than anything is to find evidence of duplicity, or dishonesty in the application process.

Having made a mistake in the past, made retribution, had a sucessful probation and "ongoing problem" assessment, ad having been forthright and up front about it all, are huge pluses on your ledger.

The state isn't out to screw you.

You have done everything that you could, done it correctly, and have now a maturity they will appreciate.

Be yourself, tell your story, express your contrition and be humble. You will be okay.

You do not need to bring recommendations from your boss(Es), trust me, tey will get in touch with your boss if they need to..

This PRE-meeting anxiety is natural.. But there isn't a darn thing you can do to help your self now beyond what you have already done.

Remember, deep breath. Honesty, and until the, meeting, give the anxiety up to God... At this point, you just have to wait and undergo the process.

Have faith. If your story here is accurate, and there has been no repetition, then you should really not have anything to worry about.

And let us know what happened.

There is not much that you can do about the impending meeting.

They will interview you, review the record, and make a decision, based on their impression.

That's a fact.

Be honest.. Be as straightforward there as you have been here.

Your presentation here was the perfect response to their opening question: so tell me what happened?

Despite the power they hold, and it is mighty, rarely do they wield it injudiciously. They work for two masters: the BME ( whose interest is to protect the citizens of the state), and, in fact, the practitioner (you)... Their goal is not to ruin your life but to make sure you are not ruining yours or threatening the citizens...

You will inevitably over-think this...

Take a deep breath.. Be honest, tell them exactly what happened, bring your documentation, and present yourself as you have here, and I doubt that you will have a problem.

My best guess is that you will walk out with an full license, unrestricted.

Believe me, you are not the only dude this has happened to...

What pi$$es the state off more than anything is to find evidence of duplicity, or dishonesty in the application process.

Having made a mistake in the past, made retribution, had a sucessful probation and "ongoing problem" assessment, ad having been forthright and up front about it all, are huge pluses on your ledger.

You have done everything that you could, done it correctly, and have now a maturity they will appreciate.

Be yourself, tell your story, express your contrition and be humble. You will be okay.

You do not need to bring recommendations from your boss(Es), trust me, tey will get in touch with your boss if they need to..

This PRE-meeting anxiety is natural.. But there isn't a darn thing you can do to help your self now beyond what you have already done.

Remember, deep breath. Honesty, and until the, meeting, give the anxiety up to God... At this point, you just have to wait and undergo the process.

Have faith. If your story here is accurate, and there has been no repetition, then you should really not have anything to worry about.

And let us know what happened.

Don't get me wrong, I am not about to criticize you for a DUI. Let he who has no sin cast the first stone, and the only difference between me and you is I never got caught for the stupidity of my youth. But I challenge you, look at the DSM-IV and CDC definition of problem drinking, and a DUI qualifies. It dos not qualify as alcohol addiction however. My concern is if you blow it off in front of the board, that they WILL make you participate in a program that you shouldn't have to go through.

Best of luck to you. My gut tells me you will come out OK. The board's goal is not to burn providers at the stake in punishment, you were punished already, but to make sure providers are fit to provide care to the public.

Don't get me wrong, I am not about to criticize you for a DUI. Let he who has no sin cast the first stone, and the only difference between me and you is I never got caught for the stupidity of my youth. But I challenge you, look at the DSM-IV and CDC definition of problem drinking, and a DUI qualifies. It dos not qualify as alcohol addiction however. My concern is if you blow it off in front of the board, that they WILL make you participate in a program that you shouldn't have to go through.

Best of luck to you. My gut tells me you will come out OK. The board's goal is not to burn providers at the stake in punishment, you were punished already, but to make sure providers are fit to provide care to the public.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I just hope I can convey what I've said here in a meaningful, unrehearsed fashion. I don't want to sound like a robot or like I'm reading some script when I go in there, but at the same time I don't want to wing it. I want to have (at the very least) bullet points.

I'll let everyone know how it goes, but in the mean time I would still like to hear anyone's stories if they got them.

I hear you. Looking back I know there were moments where I was feeling like the whole scene was getting out of hand. Any suggestions how to bring up the fact I realize it was going too far without it seeming like I'm just doing a once-over and blowing the whole thing off? Previous posts mention staying cool, calm and collected, and like rcdavis said, I will over think this. I'm doing that already.

Further suggestions are always appreciated.

Thanks again for all the responses.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I just hope I can convey what I've said here in a meaningful, unrehearsed fashion. I don't want to sound like a robot or like I'm reading some script when I go in there, but at the same time I don't want to wing it. I want to have (at the very least) bullet points.

I'll let everyone know how it goes, but in the mean time I would still like to hear anyone's stories if they got them.

I hear you. Looking back I know there were moments where I was feeling like the whole scene was getting out of hand. Any suggestions how to bring up the fact I realize it was going too far without it seeming like I'm just doing a once-over and blowing the whole thing off? Previous posts mention staying cool, calm and collected, and like rcdavis said, I will over think this. I'm doing that already.

Further suggestions are always appreciated.

Thanks again for all the responses.

Your friend could face expulsion from her program if they discover she did not disclose her DUI, and that is something that just might happen if the program does background checks between didactics and rotations (as is customary with a lot of programs, though some do it before matriculation to confirm the accuracy of one's application).

I don't think this is correct. Expungement legally allows one to check "no" on any form or document with regards to that specific offense. The school would have a difficult time explaining to a court that they have a special exemption to the legal expungement process.

Your friend could face expulsion from her program if they discover she did not disclose her DUI, and that is something that just might happen if the program does background checks between didactics and rotations (as is customary with a lot of programs, though some do it before matriculation to confirm the accuracy of one's application).

I don't think this is correct. Expungement legally allows one to check "no" on any form or document with regards to that specific offense. The school would have a difficult time explaining to a court that they have a special exemption to the legal expungement process.

You can mark "No," but if they do a background check it will pop up as: DUI (expunged). Expungement does not seal your record, and it will always show up on background checks. If you seal your record, that's another thing. But there are a lot of criteria to meet for that luxury.

Moreover, it looks extremely dishonest if you mark "No," and the background check shows the charge was expunged. A better way to answer is "Yes, expunged." Technically, marking "No" (even when the background check shows the expungement) cannot be a reason for an employer to deny you a job. But they can find another reason to deny you at that point because they might feel you were dishonest in your initial response.

Aside from just jobs, that one post a while back was about someone's friend marking "No" on a school application, but if the school does a background check (and if the school hasn't offered her a seat in their program) why wouldn't they pass her up for the same reasons a potential employer might?

As I'm finding out (especially because I want to join the military, but also with a lot of other things) there are so many qualified applicants the question becomes "Why should we risk something on you?" It's a bummer, and it's more obstacles to overcome, but what else can you do?

If one has a DUI one is probably an alcoholic.

Says who? Where are the stats? How about just being young and making a stupid mistake?

It's hard not to get defensive about such annoying comments, but how does your statement add to the discussion?

You can mark "No," but if they do a background check it will pop up as: DUI (expunged). Expungement does not seal your record, and it will always show up on background checks. If you seal your record, that's another thing. But there are a lot of criteria to meet for that luxury.

Moreover, it looks extremely dishonest if you mark "No," and the background check shows the charge was expunged. A better way to answer is "Yes, expunged." Technically, marking "No" (even when the background check shows the expungement) cannot be a reason for an employer to deny you a job. But they can find another reason to deny you at that point because they might feel you were dishonest in your initial response.

Aside from just jobs, that one post a while back was about someone's friend marking "No" on a school application, but if the school does a background check (and if the school hasn't offered her a seat in their program) why wouldn't they pass her up for the same reasons a potential employer might?

As I'm finding out (especially because I want to join the military, but also with a lot of other things) there are so many qualified applicants the question becomes "Why should we risk something on you?" It's a bummer, and it's more obstacles to overcome, but what else can you do?

If one has a DUI one is probably an alcoholic.

Says who? Where are the stats? How about just being young and making a stupid mistake?

It's hard not to get defensive about such annoying comments, but how does your statement add to the discussion?

Application question: Have you ever been convicted of a felony? Answer: No. (person passed DUI diversion program and charges were dropped in Oregon)

Application question: Have you ever been convicted of a traffic infraction? Answer: No. Same as above.

Report it to the state or school? It depends on the question they ask. Is it on your record? Absolutely not, after 10 years, in Oregon.

I wonder how other states are.

Application question: Have you ever been convicted of a felony? Answer: No. (person passed DUI diversion program and charges were dropped in Oregon)

Application question: Have you ever been convicted of a traffic infraction? Answer: No. Same as above.

Report it to the state or school? It depends on the question they ask. Is it on your record? Absolutely not, after 10 years, in Oregon.

I wonder how other states are.

Archived