Prereqs at a community college

Hows it goin everyone, I currently have 24 credits but have been out of school for a while now since enlisting in the military. I'm getting out pretty soon and plan on starting over again, this time at a community college. Will it matter that the majority of my prerequisites were completed at a community college?

There are a couple of BA Physician Assistant programs in my area that I am looking into, but if I don't make it there I'll probably just complete a BA in something else and get my masters.

Hows it goin everyone, I currently have 24 credits but have been out of school for a while now since enlisting in the military. I'm getting out pretty soon and plan on starting over again, this time at a community college. Will it matter that the majority of my prerequisites were completed at a community college?

There are a couple of BA Physician Assistant programs in my area that I am looking into, but if I don't make it there I'll probably just complete a BA in something else and get my masters.

Were you a medic/corpsman? If so, PM me and I'll give you a list of programs you'll have a good shot at based off of my experience in the application process.

As far as CC credits, some programs will care more than others. You will benefit from taking courses at a university, some programs will require courses that are 300/400 level and you will not be able to do that at a CC, some will require courses that aren't offered at most CC, and the post 9/11 GI bill will allow you to go to school full time at a university without working. You'll still be eligible for grants, scholarships, and loans but you will want to contact your school's financial aid office and fill out a form that shows your income has changed (I didn't know about that and realized the second year how much I missed out on). I never needed the loans, but your situation could be different. I'm a fan of going to a university at the beginning if you can so you don't waste time and have to retake classes if you decide to apply to MS programs. In my experience university classes are more challenging but have better learning opportunities/instructors, better resources for help, and create an environment that helps you stay focused on school and your end goal. This will obviously vary by school, though.

Were you a medic/corpsman? If so, PM me and I'll give you a list of programs you'll have a good shot at based off of my experience in the application process.

As far as CC credits, some programs will care more than others. You will benefit from taking courses at a university, some programs will require courses that are 300/400 level and you will not be able to do that at a CC, some will require courses that aren't offered at most CC, and the post 9/11 GI bill will allow you to go to school full time at a university without working. You'll still be eligible for grants, scholarships, and loans but you will want to contact your school's financial aid office and fill out a form that shows your income has changed (I didn't know about that and realized the second year how much I missed out on). I never needed the loans, but your situation could be different. I'm a fan of going to a university at the beginning if you can so you don't waste time and have to retake classes if you decide to apply to MS programs. In my experience university classes are more challenging but have better learning opportunities/instructors, better resources for help, and create an environment that helps you stay focused on school and your end goal. This will obviously vary by school, though.

Good information. If you do move forward with CC classes, heavily research the universities you plan on applying to. Even give them a call, they are usually pretty helpful. Some may have cryptic information about what courses are required and from where. Even though CC's are cheaper its a massive waste of time if you can't apply your credits. I took about a year and a half of CC classes, mostly generals and w/ gen bio and gen chem for 100 level science classes. Everything else at 4 year. It gets muddy with specific math/psych classes more than anything.

Good information. If you do move forward with CC classes, heavily research the universities you plan on applying to. Even give them a call, they are usually pretty helpful. Some may have cryptic information about what courses are required and from where. Even though CC's are cheaper its a massive waste of time if you can't apply your credits. I took about a year and a half of CC classes, mostly generals and w/ gen bio and gen chem for 100 level science classes. Everything else at 4 year. It gets muddy with specific math/psych classes more than anything.

Take this post very seriously. I disregarded this sort of information in my time @ CC and now I'll be graduating with a degree in much more than 120 credits. Frustrating.

Take this post very seriously. I disregarded this sort of information in my time @ CC and now I'll be graduating with a degree in much more than 120 credits. Frustrating.

I am a medic, had other degrees, and took all but one of my prereqs in community college. It was no problem at the three schools I applied to (2 in Ohio 1 in Indiana). Still would be worth a check with the schools you are thinking of applying to.

I enjoyed the community college courses. They were very focused and, at least in the night classes, most people seemed motivated. I took a few classes on line through them as well.

Good luck!

I am a medic, had other degrees, and took all but one of my prereqs in community college. It was no problem at the three schools I applied to (2 in Ohio 1 in Indiana). Still would be worth a check with the schools you are thinking of applying to.

I enjoyed the community college courses. They were very focused and, at least in the night classes, most people seemed motivated. I took a few classes on line through them as well.

Good luck!

Archived