Going for PA. Please rate difficulty of my classes.

Hello everyone, I hope this is not inappropriate on this forum.

I have just applied to Marywood universities pre-pa program.

I am a transfer student and have taken both A&P 1 and 2 at Northampton.

At the moment Im making a schedule, and need to know how difficult these courses are in relation to each other. Here are the Major requirements for Pre-PA that I need to take.

I was thinking about taking Anatomy and physiology together in same semester.

General Biology/General Chemisty 1 and 2

Human Gross Anatomy

Human Physiology

General microbiology

Immunology

Organic chemistry 1 and 2

Also, having taken AP1 and 2, how much easier time will I have with gross anatomy and physiology.

Thank you in advance to everyone for your responses.

Most of those classes are moderately tough outside of General Bio. My least fav on the list in Gen Chem. I would say that a full year of organic is a good idea because it really helps you to handle a ton of material at once. You may take a GPA hit if you don't dedicate a lot of time to it, but I did it and don't regret it. Those requirements sound like UNMC..is that your first choice?

Most of those classes are moderately tough outside of General Bio. My least fav on the list in Gen Chem. I would say that a full year of organic is a good idea because it really helps you to handle a ton of material at once. You may take a GPA hit if you don't dedicate a lot of time to it, but I did it and don't regret it. Those requirements sound like UNMC..is that your first choice?

They require orgo 1 and 2? Wowsers. Get yourself the book "Organic Chemistry as a Second Language" and you'll thank me for it later.

Thank you for the advice. I will definitely look into that book.

Do you believe that organic chemistry 1 2 is any harder than gross anatomy and the physiology courses?

They require orgo 1 and 2? Wowsers. Get yourself the book "Organic Chemistry as a Second Language" and you'll thank me for it later.

Thank you for the advice. I will definitely look into that book.

Do you believe that organic chemistry 1 2 is any harder than gross anatomy and the physiology courses?

The requirements are for Marywood university in Scranton PA.

I will be taking gen chem 1 and 2 , and gen biology this summer , 12 weeks total.

From the comments, organic Chemistry is starting to intimidate me a bit hah.

Thanks for reply.

Would you say that gen chem, or organic chem was more difficult than gross anatomy and the physiology course?

I will be taking gen chem 1 and 2 , and gen biology this summer , 12 weeks total.

Thanks for reply.

Would you say that gen chem, or organic chem was more difficult than gross anatomy and the physiology course?

I think it just depends what you are good at. Some people are good at chemistry, others are better at biology. They are different types of learning. Anatomy is obviously a lot of memorization, physiology is more conceptual, organic is a mix of memorizing and concepts. The learning curve is steeper with organic because you have to learn a lot of new terminology. I actually liked organic chem more than gen chem. What's difficult for one person might not be for another, so I think its best to trust your own experience in taking classes to make your decision.

I think it just depends what you are good at. Some people are good at chemistry, others are better at biology. They are different types of learning. Anatomy is obviously a lot of memorization, physiology is more conceptual, organic is a mix of memorizing and concepts. The learning curve is steeper with organic because you have to learn a lot of new terminology. I actually liked organic chem more than gen chem. What's difficult for one person might not be for another, so I think its best to trust your own experience in taking classes to make your decision.

Thanks for reply.

I would rank it in this order: Physics>Gen Chem>OChem>A&P=Immunology>Genetics=Molecular Bio>Micro>Gen Bio.

Then again these classes are VERY professor dependent and like others have said what you are good at. I found Organic chem much more bearable than Gen chem because I found Gen Chem to be a grind of math and hodgepodge topics that really didn't connect well. In organic chemistry I was using concepts on the last week of the second semester that I learned in the beginning in the first semester. Its much more connected. The work load for Ochem was exponentially greater than Gen Chem but I enjoyed it. It really helped me handle heavy loads of work. My current semester is physics 2, molecular bio, adv neuroscience lab and a religion class and studying for the GRE. But I study probably 1/2 the time because Ochem prepared me for pretty much any undergrad course load from here on out.

Thanks for reply.

I would rank it in this order: Physics>Gen Chem>OChem>A&P=Immunology>Genetics=Molecular Bio>Micro>Gen Bio.

Then again these classes are VERY professor dependent and like others have said what you are good at. I found Organic chem much more bearable than Gen chem because I found Gen Chem to be a grind of math and hodgepodge topics that really didn't connect well. In organic chemistry I was using concepts on the last week of the second semester that I learned in the beginning in the first semester. Its much more connected. The work load for Ochem was exponentially greater than Gen Chem but I enjoyed it. It really helped me handle heavy loads of work. My current semester is physics 2, molecular bio, adv neuroscience lab and a religion class and studying for the GRE. But I study probably 1/2 the time because Ochem prepared me for pretty much any undergrad course load from here on out.

At the moment Im making a schedule, and need to know how difficult these courses are in relation to each other. Here are the Major requirements for Pre-PA that I need to take.

Human Gross Anatomy

Human Physiology

General microbiology

Immunology

Also, having taken AP1 and 2, how much easier time will I have with gross anatomy and physiology.

Your A+P courses will mostly be refreshers since you've already taken A+P 1/2. Immuno is a fun course. You learn cool stuff and begin to understand the concepts behind infection, immunity, treatment methods (cell wall/dna/rna/etc), and etc. Microbio is a pain because it's pure memory.

Gen Bio won't be too bad but it's pure memory. Chem 1 isn't too bad. I'm in Chem 2 which I consider too be far more difficult than Chem 1.

Haven't taken Org yet but I don't think it will be any more or less difficult than an A+P class. I've heard bad things but I've also heard it's pure memory, which is a strength of mine.

Just a tip: I wouldn't take more than 3 sciences a semester. Personal tip. You may have a greater memory capacity, but generally speaking I think 3 is the cut-off for most people (pre-PA/med/etc) as there are other classes and a job

Human Gross Anatomy

Human Physiology

General microbiology

Immunology

Your A+P courses will mostly be refreshers since you've already taken A+P 1/2. Immuno is a fun course. You learn cool stuff and begin to understand the concepts behind infection, immunity, treatment methods (cell wall/dna/rna/etc), and etc. Microbio is a pain because it's pure memory.

Gen Bio won't be too bad but it's pure memory. Chem 1 isn't too bad. I'm in Chem 2 which I consider too be far more difficult than Chem 1.

Haven't taken Org yet but I don't think it will be any more or less difficult than an A+P class. I've heard bad things but I've also heard it's pure memory, which is a strength of mine.

Just a tip: I wouldn't take more than 3 sciences a semester. Personal tip. You may have a greater memory capacity, but generally speaking I think 3 is the cut-off for most people (pre-PA/med/etc) as there are other classes and a job

I'm taking Physics 1+2 next summer, 6 week versions. Is your hierarchy ranking Physics as most difficult because of the math? I assume so since Gen Chem is after Physics.

I'm taking Physics 1+2 next summer, 6 week versions. Is your hierarchy ranking Physics as most difficult because of the math? I assume so since Gen Chem is after Physics.

Archived