Applying for jobs before graduation

I will be graduating in May and about a month ago started the job hunting process. I am finding it difficult to wade through the online systems of large health care groups, the federal government, etc. When faced with questions such as "Have you completed an accredited PA program?", "Do you hold current a license as a PA?", etc..... what should I answer? Obviously to answer "yes" is a lie at this current point in my career. However, I am afraid that if I answer "no" some computer somewhere will simply kick my application out of the pool of applicants and my resume will never be seen. Suggestions? If I know the particular recruiter for a group, I email them after I submit my application as a "heads up" but found myself faced with this problem once again today trying to apply for a job with the VA. Thanks in advance.

I am rotating locally and have gotten a couple leads, just not as many as I would like. My current preceptor would like to hire me but is having a hard time convincing management to hire a PA. Other places have said that it would be great if I worked for them, but are not actively hiring. There seem to plenty of jobs in the area (SE Virginia) but getting my foot through the door as a new grad is turning out to be frustrating.

My question isn't really about how to find a job - there are plenty of threads about that. It is asking whether it is okay to answer "yes" to those standard questions regarding current license, etc that I may encounter when applying to a large group online. I am assuming these questions are designed to weed out those applicants who are not qualified and if I were to answer "no" (which is technically the correct answer) my application would never be seen despite the fact that I will hold a current state license very shortly.

If it were me, I was making satisfactory progress in my program, and the allowable answers were only yes or no, I would say yes and then give the graduation date as the date in the future that you will actually graduate. I think they can figure it out from there.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm graduating in May as well, and I've said yes to most questions. I've had a few interviews after filling out the online apps, and no one has ever said anything to me about it. I figure if you've already met the requirements to graduate, why not? If it asks about the state licensure, I put no, but usually under certifications I enter ACLS/BLS, etc, as well as Physician Assistant with the date of 5/2013. They should be able to figure it out from your cover letter and resume - I'm pretty sure the online apps are useless! ha ha

Archived