Best way to get an idea of PA school intensity?

Thanks Steve, have to say that a lot of the scare replies to this post aren't very helpful but yours hit home. It's going to be work, but if we're committed, it's doable. I just bought the book on Amazon from the person who did it later in life (my situation) and can't wait to read it. Thanks all for your replies.

Well, here is my life if it gives you an idea:

Mon: no class, study 8 am-7 pm with a few breaks, me time, sleep

Tues: class 8-5, come home, do mindless busywork for school for a hour or two, me time, sleep

Wed: class 9-12, study 1-7 pm, me time, sleep

Thurs: class 8-5, come home, mindless busywork, me time, sleep

Fri: no class, study 8 am-7 pm, nap, bar, sleep

Sat/Sun: varies, usually study almost all day or half day but sometimes I take a WHOLE DAY OFF

Me time=running, shower, groceries, laundry, relaxing

Overall I am getting great grades, learning a lot, and having a good time. I am super busy but not really stressed. I hate stress so try really hard to stay on top of everything. First semester was stressful bc everything was new, didn't have a routine down, etc. I admire the people who are doing this with kids and succeeding.

I will add my experience to this...

Weekdays:

1. Get up at 6 or 7, depending on how presentable you want to look that day.

2. class at 8. Usually classes go until 12 or 3, then there are labs and seminars

3. Get home at 3 or 4 and start studying. Fridge empty? Oh well.... gotta study.

4. Study until 1 am, go to bed, wake up the next morning, realized you forgot what you studied, go shower, and do the same day all over again

5. You have some kind of exam every week. Or 2 exams. There is no such thing as relaxing weekend, except maybe the first 2 weeks of every semester. However, this is the time to work your butt off and get high grades on exams, because come last few weeks of semester, you will want to have all the cushion possible to compensate for the poor grades you might get at the end of the semester (not enough time to study, too much material, too hard material, too many other assignments, too many other finals, etc, etc, etc)

6. Weekends: you do set an alarm clock. Study ALL DAY. Then go to bed. Repeat in the morning.

This is NON-STOP! Yes some people have easier time in PA school than others, but my memory is not the beast and I know I have to spend twice as much time studying as some of my friends to get OK grades. PA school is a difficult, emotionally and health-draining journey... but you just keep looking towards that light at the end of the tunnel.

Archived