What would you do??

I currently work as an RN in critical care and have been doing it for less than a year, but my long term plan is to be a midlevel provider.. Currently, I am really confused on which route I should take, either NP or PA.

Here is a bit about me:

30 y/o male, worked as an EMT before becoming an RN and have a B.S. in Public Health. I attended an ADN/ASN program in nursing since I had a B.S. already. Currently, I am debating if I should complete a 1 year RN-BSN degree which I would start in the summer then apply to an NP program; or simply take advance level classes in Biology/Science and apply to PA school.

I like how PA focuses in the medical model and how it seems PAs have more flexibility from going from specialty to specialty compared to NPs. I would like to work ER/ICU and Family Practice as a midlevel provider; I am just not sure on what to do.. My overall GPA is about 3.1 with a strong upward trend in the last 60 units consisting of just As and Bs.

Will doing the 1 year BSN be a smart idea even if I still decide to do PA school or should I only do the BSN if decide to do NP? Or, should I simply take advance science classes, add maybe a minor in Biology/Chemistry and apply to PA school? Either of the two paths I chose will show the continuous upward trend in my GPA and with my experience in EMS plus an RN in critical care/er hopefully help me out.

I am wanting to start a PA/NP program by Summer of 2014; which of these two options do you feel are the best? What would you do?

Thanks in advance.

You're a year late if you want to graduate by 2014.
I said start by summer 2014 lol.

EMEDPA: UC Davis is a good program, especially now that they are moving to the Masters Program. I wonder if I decide to do the BSN rather than take advance level science will make some ADCOMS not consider me for obtaining the BSN after my RN License, do you know what I mean? It might force them to ask themselves, if I continued to a BSN after my ASN/ADN, why am I chosing PA rather than the NP which would be the "ideal" path after the ASN then BSN. That is one of my worries.

I said start by summer 2014 lol.

EMEDPA: UC Davis is a good program, especially now that they are moving to the Masters Program. I wonder if I decide to do the BSN rather than take advance level science will make some ADCOMS not consider me for obtaining the BSN after my RN License, do you know what I mean? It might force them to ask themselves, if I continued to a BSN after my ASN/ADN, why am I chosing PA rather than the NP which would be the "ideal" path after the ASN then BSN. That is one of my worries.

....my bad! See what 30 credits/semester of PA school does to the mind ???

Archived