Post Bacc or 2nd degree (NYC)

Hello!

I really need some advice about where I should obtain my pre-reqs. I just recently came from NYU post-bacc info sessions as well as Columbia's post bacc info session. (FYI: Hunter & CCNY post bac are NOT open for students who are on the track for becoming a physician assistant. Which is soo frustrating to me because they are both reasonably priced!) Anyway, I was impressed by NYU because their post-bacc students seemed in general happier, supportive and tight-knit as a group. Columbia being an ivy league was impressive, but seemed sort of cold and just...i duno, not SO supportive. Anyhow, I am confused. I applied to both, as well as hunter as a second degree. (Second degree for financial reasons)

So what do you think is the best option? Go the cheaper, less structured route and just take classes at Hunter? Or should I put myself into $50,000 debt to go to Columbia or NYU, for the pre-reqs along with a committee letter, advising, clinical "hookups" and structure?

Some people tell me going the more expensive route is a no-brainer because it might give me an edge during the application process, while others say that the cheaper way makes more sense. PLEASE HELP!!! :sadface::sweat::O_O:

First, going to an Ivy sch won't put you at an edge. Second, it made no sense pursuing a post-bac degree (second degree) for the price tag stated above. If your reason for a second degree is fixing your GPA, then, consider the cheaper route. Have you consider comm college while working very closely with PA program of your choice? Spread your root! Get out of the overly crowded NYC. Lots of PA program in NY. Good luck.

Oh holy crap dude, the people telling you that spending 50K on this post bac is a good idea to get into PA school have NO idea what they are talking about. Go to a CC and spend 3K...... PA's do not make enough money to just incur an extra 40K of debt for a very, very slight theoretical advantage while applying. You will be throwing money away that will weigh on you quite a bit later on.

EVERY SINGLE ONE of my pre-reqs are from a CC and I got into Duke, if that give you any idea how important a school name is in most cases.

thank you so much for clarifying! I was just kinda scared because 50k is ALOT of money! My undergrad gpa is not spectacular, but its ok.(3.5) In a way yes, I have to try hard to get As in the pre-reqs, but since I graduated from a 4 year university, is it really ok to do ALL of it in a cc? :=Z: NYC is extremely crowded, and so is its CC and CUNY 4 years. Its pretty ridiculous if you ask me! But seriously, thank you for your advise-> taotao1, KMD16, lemonbars, you do not know how much this has been keeping up at night. lol. I am def thinking about just taking my pre-reqs at a CC. If there is anyone else willing to add their two cents please do. Has anyone done a formal post bacc?

Somohmmed, what kind of health care experience do you have? If you don't have any yet I would focus on getting that instead of doing a post-bacc. 3.5 is a perfectly acceptable GPA, I would focus on broadening your application and experience.

I graduated with an English degree, did all my pre-reqs at a CC, and got interviews/acceptances from multiple top 10 schools. I also had 21 hours of "F" from my early schooling. I did well because I had a very good grade trend, strong GRE, and had a varied and interesting experience set. Point is, don't worry about being flawless, worry about being interesting!

Oh holy crap dude, the people telling you that spending 50K on this post bac is a good idea to get into PA school have NO idea what they are talking about. Go to a CC and spend 3K...... PA's do not make enough money to just incur an extra 40K of debt for a very, very slight theoretical advantage while applying. You will be throwing money away that will weigh on you quite a bit later on.

EVERY SINGLE ONE of my pre-reqs are from a CC and I got into Duke, if that give you any idea how important a school name is in most cases.

While I agree for most schools I had someone from LIU-Brooklyn tell me they would look down on taking pre-req's at a CC and also some schools just outright won't accept certain pre-req's taken at CC's. I don't agree with it but you have to play the game.

Archived