Non Related Sciences and Chemistry

Some background: I have a Bachelor's degree in Public Health granted in 2011. My science GPA is a 2.97 and non science is 3.1 per CASPA. I have a definite upwards trend, from a 2.27 science gpa freshman year to a 3.34 science GPA senior year. I've done a few semesters of classes after graduating and have a 4.0 in those, which includes Anatomy and Physiology.

I'm looking now at how to raise my science GPA. I took General Chemistry and earned a C in it, but then took Orgo and got a B. Would it be worth it to take Gen Chem over, or would that look strange?

Also, a lot of my science classes in the freshman and sophomore years are completely unrelated, from when I was thinking of an ecology major, like Limnology (study of rivers) and Botany. Should I retake those classes, or focus on getting good grades in new, more related classes, like physics and genetics?

Thanks for your opinions!

Hugs,

Kelly6890

My opinion: if you retake chem and get an A, they will still count both the C and A, so it comes out to getting a B. However it does reflect well on you in your app.

Go for new courses. In your shoes, if I felt positive I could ace chem if I retook, I'd go for it. If not, you might be better off (or same off) getting A's in other science classes. Just be careful because at a lot of schools, genetics is no joke. Otherwise sounds good.

Thanks for the advice! I just moved from a semester to a quarter system so I'm trying to schedule everything in and get above the recommended hours...I think I'm going to retake General Chemistry and then I have cell bio, genetics, and immunology lined up. I'm also taking medical terminology this quarter! Hopefully I get my stats up. Thanks again!

Archived