Starting Military PA SALARY

I was able to acquire an HPSP slot for the Air Force and have signed. Pay/loans are not my #1 reason for taking the scholarship, but I would like to get anyone's input of STARTING salary of a military PA. I am a currently a 2nd Lt. and have calculated base pay BHA etc, but do we get annual medical bonuses?

(I've read figures such as $20k for family medicine, more for surgery etc....is this just for MD's?)

Thanks

This is from 2009 so I'm not sure if its been renewed or updated...

H. INCENTIVE PAY (IP). ELIGIBILITY, SERVICE OBLIGATION, AND POLICY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE IP ARE FOUND IN PARAGRAPH 5, SECTION 2, PARAGRAPHS 720 THROUGH 724 OF REF C. I. THE FOLLOWING MSC SPECIALTIES ARE DESIGNATED BY CNP AS ELIGIBLE FOR THE HPO IP: (1) CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGY (1840-1843) (2) PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT (1893) J. IP AMOUNTS. HPOS WHO MEET THE CONDITIONS IN PARAGRAPH 5, SECTION 2, PARAGRAPHS 720 THROUGH 724 OF REF C ARE ELIGIBLE FOR IP PAYABLE FOR WRITTEN AGREEMENTS ENTERED INTO, ON, OR AFTER 23 JULY 2009 IN THE AMOUNTS LISTED IN PARAGRAPH K. K. THE FOLLOWING PAY RATES ARE EFFECTIVE 23 JULY 2009: (1) PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT: 5,000 DOLLARS PER YEAR.

During HPSP, your not paid as a 2nd Lt, you're paid based on the scholarship. Once you graduate PA school, you receive the rank of 1st Lt and start there. I'm not sure if PA school counts towards actual Time in Service (TIS). Having said that... you would start at either $3314 or $3774 once you hit active duty. On top of this you will receive BAH (or a place to live), BAS, and MSC IP (the $5000/yr in the previous post). There may be one or two other pays available, but I'm not sure. On top of that, you get the regular military benefits (Med, Dental, etc)

Base pay for 2013:

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TH=align: center]O-4[/TH]

[TD=align: center]4362[/TD]

[TD=align: center]5050[/TD]

[TD=align: center]5387[/TD]

[TD=align: center]5462[/TD]

[TD=align: center]5775[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: center]O-3[/TH]

[TD=align: center]3835[/TD]

[TD=align: center]4348[/TD]

[TD=align: center]4693[/TD]

[TD=align: center]5117[/TD]

[TD=align: center]5362[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: center]O-2[/TH]

[TD=align: center]3314[/TD]

[TD=align: center]3774[/TD]

[TD=align: center]4347[/TD]

[TD=align: center]4494[/TD]

[TD=align: center]4586[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: center]O-1[/TH]

[TD=align: center]2876[/TD]

[TD=align: center]2994[/TD]

[TD=align: center]3619[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Jaw, I applied for AF HPSP, which I later withdrew since it conflicted with the Navy HPSP/HSCP I applied for, so I have the email/address/and cell of a AF recruiter if you need that. Just PM me.

Also, the navy HPSP/HSCP and AF HPSP application process is the same if you want to know about it. I got the HSCP.

To clarify other posts, the HPSP in any branch does not count for time in service. The HSCP does, but doesn't matter for PAs until later since they don't give you more money until 4 years in service and you only get HSCP for 2 years.

Google the AF rank pay scale chart if you want to see what you'll make per month. You will not get bonus pays while serving your obligation time.

HPSP you are an O1 and then go O2 after passing boards, but you are inactive so only get tuition paid for plus 2k/month. Navy HSCP you are active duty and paid as an E6 with BAH and insurance and all the other bennies of being active duty.

Jaw, I applied for AF HPSP, which I later withdrew since it conflicted with the Navy HPSP/HSCP I applied for, so I have the email/address/and cell of a AF recruiter if you need that. Just PM me.

Also, the navy HPSP/HSCP and AF HPSP application process is the same if you want to know about it. I got the HSCP.

To clarify other posts, the HPSP in any branch does not count for time in service. The HSCP does, but doesn't matter for PAs until later since they don't give you more money until 4 years in service and you only get HSCP for 2 years.

Google the AF rank pay scale chart if you want to see what you'll make per month. You will not get bonus pays while serving your obligation time.

HPSP you are an O1 and then go O2 after passing boards, but you are inactive so only get tuition paid for plus 2k/month. Navy HSCP you are active duty and paid as an E6 with BAH and insurance and all the other bennies of being active duty.

I thought I just read somewhere today that you are not eligible for USAF HPSP unless you are within 1 year of graduation.... is that true? Or can you get a HPSP for your full 2 years of PA school?

I would like to talk to a USAF HP recruiter, thanks Oneal... but aren't there different ones for different locations?

I was able to acquire an HPSP slot for the Air Force and have signed. Pay/loans are not my #1 reason for taking the scholarship, but I would like to get anyone's input of STARTING salary of a military PA. I am a currently a 2nd Lt. and have calculated base pay BHA etc, but do we get annual medical bonuses?

(I've read figures such as $20k for family medicine, more for surgery etc....is this just for MD's?)

Thanks

I received an HPSP slot for the Air Force and just started working a few months ago (supervised since I didn't take my boards yet).

You'll be promoted to 1st Lt (O-2) once you graduate. Right now, they just pay for your school and pay you ~$2000 per month (before taxes) for housing.

When you join the Air Force, you'll go to Commissioned Officer Training in Alabama for 5 weeks. Then you'll go to your base. Right now, the monthly (taxed) pay for an O-2 is $3314 per month. You'll also get BAH (housing) and BAS (food), which is non-taxed. Once you have you pass your boards and have been practicing for 6 months, you will receive specialty pay (not sure how much that is since I'm not yet there yet....my commanding officer said it's around $10k).

Message me if you have any more questions.

Hmm... Interesting. It was my understanding no specialty pay while serving your obligation time. Maybe it was another kind of pay.

I believe that applies to the bonus. Specialty pay is different. I was told that I should expect to get specialty pay. I haven't really looked into it yet. Once I pass my boards, I'll update everybody.

For Navy:

1. You will get BCP and IP regardless once you have the "-C".

2. You will only get RB after your first HPSP contract if you are an HPSP gain. You will never get the AB.

3. If you come in Direct Accession you will not get RB but instead AB until the next contract period. Then as a DA you may from then on be eligible for RB according to the then current Special Pays Implemetation Guidance found on the BUMED site. But this will depend on the state of the Corps and funding...

4. For HSCP, see 1. and disregard 3. Ask about 2. because you are the outlier currently.

Clear as mud?

• 2 weeks later...

wow I didnt know we get promoted to O-2 once we graduate. was there a grace-period between graduation and COT to take the boards???

As for those who were actively applying, take this with a grain of salt with the sequester going on...

Like they said, its a 2 year scholarship for a 3 year obligation (8 with IR). They have paid my tuition, and reimburse me for all books & equipment that I have to have (otoscope/steth, etc.). In addition a stipend of about $930 twice a month. In addition, as a stipulation to being on reserve duty, we have to serve a 45 day "active duty tour" which requires absolutely nothing but allows for 3 paychecks at o-1 pay...so you'll get an extra 3k each of the 2 years because of this...HOWEVER due to the sequester, my active duty pay has been temporarily "curtailed" and I have yet to see that pay.

I'm a 1st year student, so its very early but I have no complaints, everything has gone smoothly. BUT I would venture to say this scholarship will get more and more competitive with budget cuts if it continues to exist at all. So grades are very important DURING PA SCHOOL...they asked for my 1st semesters grades and then chose from the waitlisted people based on that (I was originally wait-listed). Reminder, the scholarship is for 24months, my school is 27 months so I ended up getting it after my first semester and will luckily still benefit from the full 2 year scholarship, BUT if you get it late in your schooling they only backpay the CURRENT semester's tuition that you are in when you commission...NO backpay further than that or backpay for stipend money.<--factor this in and you can figure how much your scholarship will really benefit you based on your timeline.

bbrown - I am thinking of applying for the USAF HPSP as well... I'd love to hear more about your application process, I have requested a health professions recruiter to contact me but have yet to hear from them. Any thoughts? Advice?

jaw1--keep calling...bug the hell out of them. I would recommend not waiting for a phone call. In fact I had to go through a different recruiter outside of my region because the one locally wasn't getting back to me. Its a great opportunity, and I had to be extremely pro-active to just get wait listed. <--my undergraduate grads weren't too good. Find former/current military personnel to write your letters of rec. Their words carry alot of weight, regardless of what branch. I shadowed two PA's who were former military and wrote letters for both my PA school application and this scholarship. I applied to the Navy HPSP and immediately got a letter stating they wouldn't be able to fund slots...my impression is the will do away with this eventually if not sooner than later.

Lastly, I applied October of 2011, was informed I was wait listed in January 2012 and told the board would make a decision on the list by summer....I heard that I was selected the following September 2012...quite a long process but again I'm a waitlistee so other experiences probably aren't as long.

• 1 month later...
jaw1--keep calling...bug the hell out of them. I would recommend not waiting for a phone call. In fact I had to go through a different recruiter outside of my region because the one locally wasn't getting back to me. Its a great opportunity, and I had to be extremely pro-active to just get wait listed. <--my undergraduate grads weren't too good. Find former/current military personnel to write your letters of rec. Their words carry alot of weight, regardless of what branch. I shadowed two PA's who were former military and wrote letters for both my PA school application and this scholarship. I applied to the Navy HPSP and immediately got a letter stating they wouldn't be able to fund slots...my impression is the will do away with this eventually if not sooner than later.

Lastly, I applied October of 2011, was informed I was wait listed in January 2012 and told the board would make a decision on the list by summer....I heard that I was selected the following September 2012...quite a long process but again I'm a waitlistee so other experiences probably aren't as long.

My situation was quite a bit different from this. I found out about the scholarship in April 2011. According to my recruiter, they randomly opened up slots and they were going up for selection soon. I had to have my packet in 3 weeks from the moment I found out about it. So I hustled, banged out the apps, the essays, got 3 letters of rec, and made it to the MEPS in those 3 weeks, WHILE taking and passing 10 finals. Insane. Then after submitting the app, I toured the closest base to me (3 hours away) with a fever just so I could add that to my toolbelt for the phone interview. The phone interview came and went and I knocked it out of the park, apparently.

Found out I got it 2 weeks later.

So my experience was quite a bit shorter than yours. :p

Archived