OBGYN Residency

what made me think about that option is all the negativity I'm hearing hear about employment and new grad (and my personal experience too)!!! It will be one year of work experience in a learning setting and the stipend is not that bad 55K (i mean not as good as a real job - but the experience by itself might lift me up the ground :) ... )

as a new grad, a residency is the best thing you could possibly do to insure you are employable throughout your career.

good choice!

Only if you plan on only working in one specialty. You have to remember that historically over 47% of PAs have changed specialties at least once in their careers. This is the fundamental difference between PAs and MDs...that flexibility. I'm not opposed residencies, but people change their minds. Hell, I've changed specialties 3 times since initially selecting Neurosurgery.....(NS-primarily spine, Ortho-adult reconstruction lower extremity, EM, and now PM&R-spine only)...

There's at least one member of this forum who attended and graduated from the Arrowhead program. Not sure if she's still active here or not, but she has posted in the past that it was a fabulous experience. There's a second OB residency in Bronx, NY. Haven't heard anything about it and their website isn't quite as spiffy as Arrowhead's. I think the value of an OB/Gyn residency really depends on your past experience and where you live (or if you're willing to relocate). In some parts of the country, breaking into Labor and Delivery can be extremely challenging since family medicine docs, OB/Gyn docs, perinatologists, and certified nurse midwives already vie for that patient population.

Actually what I like about that residency is:

1. being not that far from where i live

2. the experience that i could add to my CV

3. the confidence in myself i would most likely acquire by doing that residency

I understand what phyassist says about the PA career and it's flexibility.. actually I am not doing this residency to be stuck in OB all my life .. i'm taking it as an experience to add to my portfolio. I'm thinking about it as a one year working in OBGYN with more hands on experience than a regular job regardless the decrease pay ...

I think the program would be a combination of clinical and hospital setting .. I will try to PM the PA that friction found on the forum here that did the prgm... I'm still stirring to pro and con ... will see ..

there is that other EM residency at arrowhead that is awesome too but i'm scare of it :)

Only if you plan on only working in one specialty. You have to remember that historically over 47% of PAs have changed specialties at least once in their careers. This is the fundamental difference between PAs and MDs...that flexibility. I'm not opposed residencies, but people change their minds. Hell, I've changed specialties 3 times since initially selecting Neurosurgery.....(NS-primarily spine, Ortho-adult reconstruction lower extremity, EM, and now PM&R-spine only)...

I know we have discussed this before but I see that lateral mobility going away. every year it gets harder and harder to change specialties. you need to prove you have done something before to do it again. sure, you can start at new grad level as a seasoned pa but who wants to do that?

as someone in em for 26 years I could go into primary care or a hospitalist position without too much trouble but if I wanted to do another specialty with procedures I don't currently do(say gi) it would be very hard to get me up to speed. it used to be that a doc could say "watch me do this flex sig, the next one is yours". now you need to demonstrate 100+ procedures done in the presence of a gi doc over 6 months for the same credentialing.

also, the off service rotations done for any residency will apply to almost all specialties as you still need to learn to admit and d/c pts from the hospital, write progress notes, etc

an em residency makes you more marketable for a job in almost any specialty, much like a rotating internship used to for the docs.

Archived