Do not apply for job if you have ever been named in a MALPRACTICE suit.....

So after 13 years at the same job I am back on the market <practice was sold>. The market has changed somewhat since the last time I was looking, but not that much. One thing that has though is one of the "requirements" I have been running into....that of any history or current pending malpractice suits. Out of 3 phone interviews all of them asked bout malpractice and several indicated that had I EVER been named at any time that I would immediately be disqualified. Now I never have been named in anything, but after 20 years and well over 100k patients it would not be out of the realm of possibility that something like that would of happened.

I have to tell you guys, I find it very disturbing that never being tagged in any suit is now a requirement by a lot of employers. I just think it's wrong. Some PA's get hit because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time, and in a lot of these cases there is little the PA did wrong. Oh and it's not based on money paid out, the question was always "have you ever even been named in a lawsuit". Crazy. What's next, a gold Star of David sewn on our lab coats? Or perhaps a scarlet letter to carry?

Hmmm. Just now leaving a pt. care position in Texas and planning on taking another route, but if I return to direct care this would be a hassle. I've been named once before while in the ED but it was a "name the chart" and drop folks later situation. Seems the more applicable question would be have you ever had a case go to court or had to settle a claim? Too many of us have been around too long, and if having worked in an ED situation long enough, may have had this come up.

Archived